dead wood harder on saw chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Is it just me or does dead wood dull a chain faster than live. I've been cutting a lot of dead black locust and it seems that it dulls my chain really quickly. I also cut a lot of dead red oak and have the same experience. When I cut into something live I'm throwin lots of chips, but the dead stuff seems to throw a lot more saw dust.

Yup, the harder stuff (whether owing to being a harder species or a drier log) tends to wear chains faster and to produce smaller chips. Hardwood that is dead, standing, bark-less, and sunbaked...bad news.

jpl1nh said:
Is it just me or does dead wood dull a chain faster than live. I've been cutting a lot of dead black locust and it seems that it dulls my chain really quickly. I also cut a lot of dead red oak and have the same experience. When I cut into something live I'm throwin lots of chips, but the dead stuff seems to throw a lot more saw dust.

When I read the title I thought, if it's pine it's easier, no resin to drag it down, but if it's like BL oops, should have gotten after it sooner. Get a couple spare chains and a good fast sharpener, and remember green is really easier.

I think others have reported that black locust in particular is hard on chains. All of my locust was pre-cut, so I can't say either way.

Me, I'd love to get more wood without bark. Dirty and/or sandy bark will dull a chain quick, and I seem to get a lot of that.

I find Locust and dead Elm are hard on chains. I find my self sharping my saws at work a lot more at work when cutting them.

I own a small chipper, when chipping dead dry branches I must sharpen my knives much quicker.
I never really noticed a difference when cutting with the chainsaw. The chipper only has two knives so its making contact with the wood more often than the teeth of the chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.