1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Dealing with Bad Wood

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jazzbiker, Feb 3, 2013.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    "I have a Heritage soapstone"

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Maybe because he said so?
  3. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Trying to burn wet wood is frustrating. It's almost a waste of what will become good wood.

Burning pallets is a lot of work
    Burning blocks isn't exactly cheap, but they should get you by
  4. Stella

Stella Member

Loc:
    Southern Peloponnese, Greece
    begreen, I have a confession to make. Like most people here, I start my fire with a little left over olive oil on the newspaper to help it along, followed by pine cones. Yes, the glass goes get brownish but only at the edges and I clean it off every day with damp paper towel and the palest ash. One taverna owner here starts his stove with an olive twig dipped in a mixture of ash and olive oil which he keeps in a corner of the room in a plastic jug. Certainly seems to work!
    gyrfalcon likes this.
  5. rijim

rijim Member

Loc:
    RI
    Any chemical option could, and more often than not, will have consequences; burning wood with high moisture content will most like cause cresote buildup; if the amount of moisture limits the burn temperatures. Any suppliers of kiln dried wood around you? It is a little pricey but 1/2 cord may allow you to burn that and use the dry heat and a fan to dry your existing supply and mix in a little at a time.
    gyrfalcon likes this.
  6. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    gyrfalcon and Dune like this.
  7. jazzbiker

jazzbiker New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks again. I am talking about the Duraflame variety of starter, certainly not gasoline. JDP1152, I appreciate the offer of a moisture meter ! and all the suggestions. I like the idea of banging two together to hear the tone. We're all musicians here :). I'll start making room for some better wood while mine dries out.
    Thanks,