Dear Woodstock: Go Pound Sand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BCC_Burner

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2013
Uptown Marble, CO
The title really says it all. Ordered a stove (with a deposit) in early July, was quoted a "mid August" ship date, so I set my install appointment for October 5. Then the ship date got pushed to September 10, which still would have worked fine with my October 5 install date. Now here we are, on September 23, and "hopefully" my stove will be ready to ship next week.

Well, that's too late for my install, and my installer is fully booked until May of 2022 other than the appointment I have set. So yeah, Woodstock screwed me with their inability to manage their production volume, and with their underhanded, deceptive estimates of shipping dates. They over-promised and catastrophically under-delivered. I don't care how friendly they are on the phone, this is a staggering lack of professionalism on their part.

Now I'm going to have to tell them to take that stove they built for me and shove it where the sun doesn't shine, and I'll be dealing with a winter of burning propane for heat. Woodstock had multiple chances to communicate the delay and chose not to, so it only seems reasonable that I disseminate the tale of their shameful business practices as widely as possible.

The title really says it all. Ordered a stove (with a deposit) in early July, was quoted a "mid August" ship date, so I set my install appointment for October 5. Then the ship date got pushed to September 10, which still would have worked fine with my October 5 install date. Now here we are, on September 23, and "hopefully" my stove will be ready to ship next week.

Well, that's too late for my install, and my installer is fully booked until May of 2022 other than the appointment I have set. So yeah, Woodstock screwed me with their inability to manage their production volume, and with their underhanded, deceptive estimates of shipping dates. They over-promised and catastrophically under-delivered. I don't care how friendly they are on the phone, this is a staggering lack of professionalism on their part.

Now I'm going to have to tell them to take that stove they built for me and shove it where the sun doesn't shine, and I'll be dealing with a winter of burning propane for heat. Woodstock had multiple chances to communicate the delay and chose not to, so it only seems reasonable that I disseminate the tale of their shameful business practices as widely as possible.
You do realize how many companies across many different industries are having the same problems don't you?

You do realize how many companies across many different industries are having the same problems don't you?
yeah, I was gonna say, I work in aerospace raw material sales, and supply chain disruptions are so frequent and unpredictable right now, for so many industries, it's really hard to blame a company that has push outs.

i have been trying to get my hands on a 2021 toyota sienna for 3 months...good luck, lol

Reactions: bholler
It just might not be all on their backs. shortages abound in every conceivable industry. with shipping being the main culprit in delays. I'm just a little guy in these games

BCC_Burner It is a bummer, but I would endeavor and stick with Woodstock at this point. It's what you wanted after careful research and the stove situation is only going to get worse as the season goes on. Supplies and shipping are getting disrupted across the board. We all need to exercise patience. I like Geoff's idea of getting everything installed except for the stove if possible. Note that your installer is going to have disruptions with other installations too, so don't give up hope for them having a cancellation elsewhere.
42b.jpg

I think you should keep your appointment with the installer and have the chimney installed and then hook up the stove yourself.

Should I be equally or more upset that the fridge that was purchaced in full by me in Feb 21 is still not available?

Mine died but the store gave me a brand new loaner.

Friends ordered an F150 hybrid in February too. It still has not shown up.

Furniture industry was also hit hard. Took ~6 months just to get a mattress and longer for other pieces.

I agree with Geoff and spacebus that you can install the pipe and hookup the stove later. Giving the installer the dimensions of the stove, they should be able to leave appropriate room for it.

The installer will not sign off on a incomplete installation. Insurance……..crap and all!

The installer will not sign off on a incomplete installation. Insurance……..crap and all!
Would it be any different than moving into a house with a chimney but no stove attached?

I work in the LED lighting business, same kind of thing going on for us. We can't meet customer demand. If it isn't raw material shortages (including steel), it is labor shortages. We can't get enough people to work the lines to build the lights to fill the orders, same thing going on for our suppliers.

Shortages everywhere.

It sounds like you are more pissed off about the lack of communication than anything else. I can understand that. Sorry it didn't work out for you. If you do decide to pass on that stove, you'll be making someone else pretty happy. "Woodstock told me there was going to be a delay, but then they somehow delivered EARLY".

This is going on with many things not just Woodstock stoves. I've been waiting 10 months for a hot tub and still no production date.

That may be different with a WETT installer vs Colorado.

Reactions: Diabel
likely cause someone else canceled. I need some new grinding wheels made to my spec. guesstimate 12 weeks -likely mutiply that by 2. if I could modify the machine that would help but, even then every one is out stock on a lot of common sizes.
Insult to injury - blew a brake line this morning on way into shop. It is a long 45 mile walk home.

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Trust me, it's not Woodstock's fault. I'm sure they have your stove, it's done and has probably been ready to ship but they are probably being screwed over due to the driver shortage the trucking industry has faced. They've probably been waiting for an available driver to come by to pick up the stove.

Yes the supply issues here in the US suck. I work in a scientific research lab and you wouldn't believe how impossible it is to find flasks, test tubes, centrifuge tubes, beakers...I could go on all day!! We've resorted to ordering things off of Amazon and they're getting delivered at my bosses house lol!!

If you can, I would keep your installers appointment and let them come out and get all the framework put in. As has been suggested, have them leave a telescope pipe and when you get the stove in, you and the guys who helped move it into your home can lift it in place and you'll have your stove! Might be a bit later than you would like but you're not going to freeze to death this time of year.

You spent time and effort (probably a lot of time and effort since you're on this site!) researching a stove and you picked Woodstock. Believe me these units are as good as any top tier unit out there!! If you walk away from this stove you will be settling for some big box store Chinese made junk stove and why would you want that if you could have a Woodstock? Trust me, this wait, although a PITA, is worth it! You will love the stove once it arrives!!

And I guess in all this discussion you never mentioned which model you ordered! :)

Reactions: Diabel
Ordered my osburn 1st week of June and received it 10 days later.

Agreed on a lot of these points. Trucking is an absolute nightmare right now. We are ordering semi loads of brick 3 months ahead of time and praying that they make it in time. We have an upper leg on most because I always have equipment to unload trucks on jobs and that gives us a TON of flexibility. So far so good, but everyone is stretched so thin I don't see how much longer this can hold up.

I'm still waiting on windows that were ordered 3 months ago. Like others have mentioned there are a lot of factors causing the delays of nearly every thing conceivable. I would stick with it and accept the stove. Cancelling now will just add insult to injury.

I order my Osburn on a Saturday and got a call the following Tuesday it was ready. Hit or miss I suppose, tough luck and frustrating I am sure. Stick it out and make the best of it.

Ordered my osburn 1st week of June and received it 10 days later.
I order my Osburn on a Saturday and got a call the following Tuesday it was ready. Hit or miss I suppose, tough luck and frustrating I am sure. Stick it out and make the best of it.
Not custom built stoves though...they probably have a whole warehouse full of them ready to go right now...or maybe only half full with all the 2021 craziness...but the idea still applies.

It's across industries. Ordered a GE clothes dryer in March. It was delivered to the store in September.

Dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer were also delayed. Ordered in March. Delivered in May.

Reactions: Pyrate Dave
It's across industries. Ordered a GE clothes dryer in March. It was delivered to the store in September.

Dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer were also delayed. Ordered in March. Delivered in May.
Glad to see things are improving. Ordered new Bosch dishwasher the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. It arrived sometime in late March, and was installed in April.

Hope the OP is able to get up and running before too long.