Debarking firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I can see clear evidence that the bark on firewood makes it season more slowly. Many times I peel some bark off a split to find moisture trapped underneath while the rest of the split is dry, suggesting that the bark is hindering seasoning. I still don't plan to debark my firewood supply, but that is because I think it is too much work, not because I think it wouldn't help (a little).

Wood Duck said:
I believe I can see clear evidence that the bark on firewood makes it season more slowly. Many times I peel some bark off a split to find moisture trapped underneath while the rest of the split is dry, suggesting that the bark is hindering seasoning. .

I'm thinking that would just be some surface moisture from rain or snow trapped by bark and has nothing to do with seasoning. If, as you say, the split is dry other than just under the bark, it would seem that the wood has seasoned just fine. The bark may impede merely that one surface of the split and not the entire seasoning process.

I know Janesville's not that boring that you can't find a better use for your time. :lol:

Only bark I take off is the bark covered in poison ivy... I'd rather throw those btu's back in the woods! But I try not to remove any btu's from my fuel that I dont have too...

I've been trying to take off the bark and brushing off each piece before I bring it into the garage, for bugs.
Not sure it does much good, but every once in a while I'll find some ants.
It's so nice just having to go into the garage all winter for more wood...

I put the bark into garbage cans. Some of it gets pretty moldy, but it still burns, and I do burn it all.
I used to sprinkle them out in the woods to the extent I could drag the cans, but those 16" pieces of bark still look like litter to me.
I bought a residential chipper/shredder off Craigslist-it does chip up the bark so it's more usable and breaks down easier, maybe for use in the wife's flower garden, but, put it this way: "wanna buy a chipper/shredder?"

Status
Not open for further replies.