Decent Stihl saws review article & some helpful tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
I find that this website does some fairly thoughtful reviews as opposed to just fawning over which ever tool a company sent them. ( Though I suppose Stihl loaned them a bunch of saws.) The end of the article had some general saw tips.

Hmmm, the article title said 2022, but the url says 2020

My little 170 C-BE with a 16-inch bar has done everything I have needed on my wooded acre. Just homeowner use.

I'd like to have a 500i, but my 460 is still getting it done.

I'm happy with a ms261 I bought last year. One selling point for me was the bars and chains of my 026 and the 261 are interchangeable. That is a big plus.

I'd like to have a 500i, but my 460 is still getting it done.
For firewood I have a old 044, MS441C-M and 260 Pro (not gonna mention my top handles). I recently got my hands on a 500i, needless to say I have not touched my 044 or 441, and they will prolly be up for sale soon. 500i is lighter, better anti-vibe and way more torque. Balances extremely well with the 28" Ultra Lite bar I have on it, and I dont have to bend over to limb like I do with my 260. haha

I would hang on the 044 as a backup saw.
The value will never go down,and one issue with the new saw and it will have to go back to the dealer.
Then your woodcutting will be at the mercy of the dealer.

I would hang on the 044 as a backup saw.
The value will never go down,and one issue with the new saw and it will have to go back to the dealer.
Then your woodcutting will be at the mercy of the dealer.
My backup saw will probably be a 660... Do occassional milling, and was planning on getting a slightly bigger saw, can get a pretty good deal on 066/660's right now since the 661 and 500i have come out.