Decided on a QuadraFire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Well I finally decided. The last day of the QuadraFire sale had a little something to do with it (ok a lot). I placed a deposit and as soon as I get a few things completed it will be installed. One thing I could not immediately decide on was the "Hearth Board". They are a little steep I thought especially wihen you see that they are constructed using particle board covered with ceramic tile. Did I mention I hate particle baord?
So while I try to make up my mind I was wondering if anybody had any plans on making a 36" corner hearth board. I took a stroll around HomeDepot this evening and looked at ceramic tiles: decent 12" tiles were about $2.10 each. I certainly will need to cut tiles to fit. Plywood I am thinking 3/4" thick (would need to buy a 4x8 sheet). I would need a few braces underneath to stop any sagging. Checking the wood trim area I did not see any that I could use for the edging. Not sure if that trim is custom made, but I did notice that it needs a lip onto which the plywood will rest on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I have read on the forum that it's a good idea to try a few different bags of pellets from differing manufactures to see what burns best, but being summer (at least feeling that way lately) I won't be burning to get my own conclusions. So I am going to shop around to see what is available locally then come back to the forum and ask for opinions. I would like to get pellets long before the fall.

smalltown said:
Well I finally decided. The last day of the QuadraFire sale had a little something to do with it (ok a lot). I placed a deposit and as soon as I get a few things completed it will be installed. One thing I could not immediately decide on was the "Hearth Board". They are a little steep I thought especially wihen you see that they are constructed using particle board covered with ceramic tile. Did I mention I hate particle baord?
So while I try to make up my mind I was wondering if anybody had any plans on making a 36" corner hearth board. I took a stroll around HomeDepot this evening and looked at ceramic tiles: decent 12" tiles were about $2.10 each. I certainly will need to cut tiles to fit. Plywood I am thinking 3/4" thick (would need to buy a 4x8 sheet). I would need a few braces underneath to stop any sagging. Checking the wood trim area I did not see any that I could use for the edging. Not sure if that trim is custom made, but I did notice that it needs a lip onto which the plywood will rest on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I have read on the forum that it's a good idea to try a few different bags of pellets from differing manufactures to see what burns best, but being summer (at least feeling that way lately) I won't be burning to get my own conclusions. So I am going to shop around to see what is available locally then come back to the forum and ask for opinions. I would like to get pellets long before the fall.

I bought a Castile insert today as well. From the website, the price cuts now go until the end of May. Can I ask how much you paid? My insert was $3100.

Congrats on your Castile. I have the insert so cant offer any advise on the hearth part. There is anew pellet plant in strong maine, dont know how good the pellets are though, are you near there? When you see whats available in your area you can look in the forums to get an idea of the better pellets. Im no expert but from what i see and hear the prices on pellets probabaly will just continue to rise. Good luck!

My pellet stove has been on the 12"tiles, directly on the plywood floor. After I installed a laminate floor in that room I used a piece of laminate trim to edge the tiles.

tjnamtiw It was selling for $2699 and the sale reduced the price to $2299. Apparently the insert costs more. Hope that helps. I was quite surprised at the difference of $700 between thew Santa Fe and the Castile so I doesn't surprise me to see that the insert would ramp up in price. Also not included in the price was an OAK that I opted for. I thought it would save me from using inside heated air (my house is pretty tight) and I think that cold air is more dense and might give me a more efficient burn.
I came real close to buying the Santa FE, but the cast iron along with the cleaning and sale price swayed me to buy the Castile.

PS I think I should have searched a little about hearth pads last night. I was up until the wee hours looking and reading prior posts. Seems to be coming down to 2x4 OR 2x6s on edge and cement board then tiles on top as I think I need only a floor cover so to speak.

when you make the hearth pad i would recommend going 3/4'' Advantech plywood and then a layer of cement board and then your tile. I have installed alot of stoves on customer made hearth pads and 90% of the time they put tile on plywood and and they crack!! the cement board bonds to the tile better and there is less chance of cracking. Just a suggestion have you thought about a 40x40 conner hearth pad it doesn't take up much room and i think it looks much better.

Just FYI, I made my corner hearth pad for about $65. It is cement board laying directly on the hardwoord floor, thin set mortar, discontinued old brick face tiles for like $5/box. Grout, tools, sealer. I also added some decorative trim (quarter round style) to the edge. All from HD.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.