Q&A decision on New Wood Burning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I would like to install a wood-burning fireplace in my 70 year old brick bungalow. I want a nice-looking and efficient fireplace, but I want to avoid the expense of foundation work, etc., associated with a traditional brick fireplace and brick chimney (I would be willing to pay, say, $3500 for all materials, if I am doing all the installation). I have done some construction, but never masonry. What are my options here? What are the best options for someone in my position? What kind of fireplace should I be considering? Should a talented do-it-yourselfer take on such a project? Do you have any specific style recommendations to make? And, finally, could you recommend any books on the installation of zero-clearance fireplaces or some other kind of fireplace you deem appropriate? I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, so referral to any local dealers would be helpful as well. Thanks very much, John

Answer:

You will easily get by with the $3500 in material...Here's an idea of prices...

1. Bottom Line... Builders Grade - Firebox, Glass Doors, Chimney $500-700
2. Mid-Line... More efficient, like Heat n Glo Energy Master, etc.. Complete $1500-$2000.
3. Top Of Line.... FPX Fireplace, RSF and Others... $300+

You'll have to add the cost of framing lumber, siding, etc.

No Masonry is required unless you have to build a foundation Outside. We sometimes use pressure treated lumber posts in the ground to build a small platform to set the unit on (if the unit is outdoors)..Check with your local building officials for a method that will suit them.

Most importantly, get a hold of the owners manual of whichever unit you choose well ahead of construction time (in fact, before purchase if possible)...Study it well. It's mostly carpentry work, but you must pay attention to the clearances to combustibles, etc. If you can read and follow directions carefully, you'll probably be OK.

Link: Fireplace Xtrordinair Web Site

Link: RSF Energy Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.