Decisions decisions....already ordered a nc30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I bought it, all the awesome reviews! Not many (if any) stoves with a better following, especially in that price range....just wondering if it's gonna be enough stove with my tall ceilings. My next thing will be to add a couple ceiling fans and they are sending me my blower in the mail. I'm hoping this will be what's needed to get that space feeling warmer.its only a 30x48 building but 12 foot ceilings have to make it a lot tougher on the stove.

As I say every year, I am the only person I have ever seen here that paid full retail, $1,200 for the 30-NC back in 2006 and have never regretted it. I did pick up a "spare" for $649 delivered a few years ago. Haven't ever hooked it up or had a fire in it.

But I am sure I would have been just as happy with the Drolet. I love big honkin steel stoves.
Wow you must really love that stove to buy a spare. I have 2 but i use em both. One in the house and one in the workshop. BB you need a workshop so you can put that stove to good use. PS you dont actually have to "work" in the workshop.

IV decided to spring for the big variable speed fan for the back. Im looking for a coupon code right now for amfmenergy. Since i cleaned up my workshop that 55 gallon barrel with the big window fan on it looks out of place. I really do need a fan for when the stovetop temp starts creeping toward 800.

Wow you must really love that stove to buy a spare. I have 2 but i use em both. One in the house and one in the workshop. BB you need a workshop so you can put that stove to good use. PS you dont actually have to "work" in the workshop.

The workshop is in the basement. The ESW pellet stove does the job for that. Turn it on when I need to work down there, hit the off button when I am done.

If you burnt that NC30 all night and had golf ball sized coals in it them your shop isnt holding heat very well.
All stoves of this design including the NC30 and Drolet Myriads have a heating curve that has a peak then dies down
as the wood burns down. The coals do give off heat but if the building isnt holding any heat then the building looses heat faster than
the coals can maintain the heat.

The Progress Hybrid is a Cat stove and in the cat mode of operation it flattens out that heat curve to have less of a peak and makes the heat
last over a longer period of time. Which may help in a situation where the insulation in the building isnt the ideal.

Now what I have noticed with my Drolet Myriad the stainless steel baffle manifold with no insulation in the manifold lets the stove radiate heat at a higher level and seems to put out more heat when the wood is at the coal stage. What this does do is the Myriad burns a little dirtier as its emissions is in the range of 5 grams emissions. As if your not holding the heat in the firebox as well and its radiating out faster then the stove doesnt burn as clean.

Interesting...except I know the building is very well insulated and holds heat great..(or it should). It has r19 in the walls and when I had them open (for remodel) I spray foamed and or caulked any possible leaks. The ceiling had existing r13 bats in which I blew an r32 value of cellulose on top of. The building exterior is a normal steel pole barn, but it has had furring strips added and then sided in cement board(basically an extra layer over the steel barn siding). The interior is all 7/16 Osb with all seems caulked and then painted. The only thing I can't speak of is the slab, as I didn't pore it and have no idea of the insulation under it if any. It'll be 48 in there with outside temps in the low 20's with no heat on whatsoever. If I load it at night at around a 70 degree building temp it'll be around 60 in the morning with all the coals ....

Last edited:
I would say take a temp on the floor of your home and then take a temp on the floor of the shop. That slab is cold. They're even cool in summer temps.

image.jpg
I think wood may have not been dry enough...I got into some of my "better" stuff and added the blower and a box fan in the shop....12 outside and upper 70's in the shop. I also saw the stove blow past 800 in about 20 minutes that I had to run in the house and leave it unattended. Can't ask for much more for the money....I'm finally a believer of all the hype. Thanks for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Cell phone shots need to be taken horiz. with the home button on the right. Hopefully a forum upgrade will eventually address this.

Status
Not open for further replies.