Decisions, decisions, decisions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
362 c-m or 562xp?

Same price, same cc, same hp, same bar size (24"), pretty much same weight. Not a fan of the "farm" saws from Stihl. MS250 was VERY underpowered. I have a Husky 460 now I use for big wood want to put an 18" on it and a Dolmar PS510 I'm switching from 20" .325 to 16" 3/8. And an echo CS400 for brush work.

Looking for a midsize saw that I will want to take to the woods to cut firewood. One that will last longer than any of the farm and ranch saws I have now. I'm tired of fixing chit.

Anyone own both or run both since the auto tune issues have been worked out? Am I splitting hairs on color and brands of two equally good saws?

I would go for a 70+cc saw to pair with your current line up. Husky 372 or wait for the 572 autotune version, stihl's, jonsered's, or dolkita's version of that class saw. Both those saws mentioned are decent and great saws(husky) but are the same displacement as your 460.

Just my .02

If we’re throwing .02 cents in, I would recommend either a 50cc or 70cc professional class saw. 261 or 441 or husky equivalent. In my humble opinion the power to weight ratio just doesn’t justify owing a 60cc saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If we’re throwing .02 cents in, I would recommend either a 50cc or 70cc professional class saw. 261 or 441 or husky equivalent. In my humble opinion the power to weight ratio just doesn’t justify owing a 60cc saw.

As I looked at the 261 I noticed .6hp less than the 362 and .5 more than my current 460. Do you think it would pull a 20 ok or would an 18 for everyday be more realistic? I did notice two pounds less also.

I'm just not happy with the performance of the non professional saws or the longevity. Most of what I cut is oak, hickory, or dead ash. I've got a freshly logged woods, about 60 tops, to cut in now, between that and the ash I am thinking about making some money on firewood.

I have a Husq 365, designed for continuous use. It's simple, but proven to me to be reliable and powerful. 20" bar no sweat through big oak (even when buried). I broke her in easy, and clean it out often, increased my productivity greatly

I would go for the 562 or check out the 550. I love my 550 and if all i was cutting was tops, it would be the only saw in the woods. I feel the husky's outboard clutch on these 2 saws offer better balance needed while working thru slash and cutting tops. This also has its disadvantages as difficulty removing powerhead from a pinch. The 550 with an 18" narrow kerf b/c is a laser at firewood size logs, 18-20". I have used it to fell several oaks and kickory in that size range. Ash is a softwood compared to those 2. I prefer my 2172 for felling anything over 16" but it would get heavy swinging around tops all day. I would put both saws in your hands and see which feels best to you.

As I looked at the 261 I noticed .6hp less than the 362 and .5 more than my current 460. Do you think it would pull a 20 ok or would an 18 for everyday be more realistic? I did notice two pounds less also.

I'm just not happy with the performance of the non professional saws or the longevity. Most of what I cut is oak, hickory, or dead ash. I've got a freshly logged woods, about 60 tops, to cut in now, between that and the ash I am thinking about making some money on firewood.

Per STIHLs website the 261 is a 4 hp saw weighing 10.8 pounds. The 362 is a 4.6 hp saw weighing 13.2 pounds. In my opinion that’s a lot of weight for a saw that’s only slightly stouter. The 261 is will pull a 20” bar no problem, of course the shorter bars are more zippy.

I have a Husq 365, designed for continuous use. It's simple, but proven to me to be reliable and powerful. 20" bar no sweat through big oak (even when buried). I broke her in easy, and clean it out often, increased my productivity greatly

I highly recommend the 365. I have the older 365 special and its easy to work on, reliable, and very capable at cutting large volumes of wood without complaint. Its paired with a small Stihl MS211 for limbs and light cleanup work.

I run a pair of 260 Pros. Pretty much all I cut is tops following my logger buddy around.They came with 18 in bars and I didn't care for that. I switched sprockets on both and run 16 in bars with 3/8 FC chain....now they get with it! I also run other larger saws but only when wood size dictates the switch....my back likes that...

If you've been disappointed with a midgrade (farm/ranch) saw like the Husqvarna 455/460 or Stihl's offerings at that level, then get at least a 60cc saw that can competently run a regular 3/8 pitch chain on a minimum 20" bar. That moves you into the Stihl 362/Husqvarna 562XP territory or bigger. A 60cc pro saw running 3/8 chain is a totally different beast than even the best 50cc saw running .325 pitch.

Both of the 60cc saws you mentioned are top of their displacement class today. If you go with the 362CM, make sure it's the newer lighter version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zack R