Decisions, decisions.......To "Insert"...or NOT to "Insert"....that is the question.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njkev

Aug 31, 2008
New Jersey
Hi group,
I just joined this forum, and I have already enjoyed many of the posts, and have absorbed a lot of helpful information. I am happy to have "stumbled" upon it on my quest of a new wood burning unit! :) So......Here is my first official post:

I currently have a "builder's special" (Superior BRF-3875 fireplace). I have a 2300 sq ft center colonial home. The fireplace is located in a large family room that is wide open to a large kitchen area. I intend to replace that inefficient unit with an EPA Phase II wood burning unit. I am conceding to the fact that an insert is likely not an option (that I would be happy with in the end). The only insert units that I found that WILL fit (for sure) are the Hampton HI200S (not yet in production!), the Lennox Striker C160, Regency I1200S, and the Vermont Castings Montpelier (real tight but doable with 3" extension). The Lennox Performer C210 MIGHT fit, but haven't been able to get a straight answer from any Lennox dealer yet. Other than the Lennox Performer C210, the other options are all "small" wood insert options. I think that I would be happier with installing a new wood burning fireplace instead of an insert as I would like some serious BTU output. (Yes, I realize that I have to tear out the old firebox, sheet rock on two floors, and the BC8 piping.) I am considering a Heatilator Constitution unit with SL300 piping. I have a contractor that will do the entire job for $5400, including the unit, piping, demolition, and install (but not including sheet rock repair and incidentals, Mantel, and any stone-work). If I am able to do the demolition portion myself, he will do it for $4500. Does this sound like a great deal in your opinion? Can anyone offer any other insert or fireplace suggestions?

Assuming I go for the Constitution option.... My current fireplace has BC8 piping. What is the difference between BC8, TF8, and SL300 Chimney pipe?? I think they are all similar types other than perhaps slight difference in outer pipe diameter, and maybe a slight difference in temperature rating? The Constitution requires the use of SL300 pipe......which I think is rated at 1700 deg F? Is there a 2100 deg F type of pipe that is acceptable to use instead of the SL300 pipe used on the Constitution? I would be more than willing to spend a few extra bucks up-front if there is a good chance that I would never have to replace the pipe (or add a liner) in the future, regardless what model fireplace or insert I decide to install down the road "when I am 64!" (42yo now!)

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice,
Kevin

I am just closing out this earlier post to indicate my final choice of the Heatilator Constitution! I made the right decision to purchase this High Efficiency Phase II wood burning fireplace instead of an insert option. I based my decision on the realization that I could only put in a very small insert, and that it would not meet my requirement to heat over 2300 sq. ft. Also, the refractory in my old ZC Superior fireplace was cracking in several places, and would have to be "patched up" or replaced at a cost of over $600! The Heatilator Constitution is a beautiful unit, and I know I made the right decision. It is well worth the additional 1K to bite-the-bullet and do the job right the first time than just throw in an insert and regret it later!

BTW....I discussed my consideration of the insert option with my installer (who has over 20+ years in the industry). He told me that there was no way in h*ll that I could put an insert into my Superior ZC fireplace because it would be a serious fire hazard. I said that I was thinking about installing the Lennox Striker C160, and that the brochure stated that it could be installed inside of a ZC fireplace. He said he has installed hundreds of the C160, and that the idea of using it in a ZC fireplace is merely a marketing gimmick, and he refuses to install them into a ZC fireplace for any amount of money offered. He tells people to "go find someone else to install it if you insist on risking your family's safety!" (Yeah....I am sure these comments are bound to stir the pot a bit!)

Please see my other post below announcing the install of my Heatilator Constitution! Time to buy my Bermuda shorts for the winter!!! :)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22955/

njkev said:
I am just closing out this earlier post to indicate my final choice of the Heatilator Constitution! I made the right decision to purchase this High Efficiency Phase II wood burning fireplace instead of an insert option. I based my decision on the realization that I could only put in a very small insert, and that it would not meet my requirement to heat over 2300 sq. ft. Also, the refractory in my old ZC Superior fireplace was cracking in several places, and would have to be "patched up" or replaced at a cost of over $600! The Heatilator Constitution is a beautiful unit, and I know I made the right decision. It is well worth the additional 1K to bite-the-bullet and do the job right the first time than just throw in an insert and regret it later!

BTW....I discussed my consideration of the insert option with my installer (who has over 20+ years in the industry). He told me that there was no way in h*ll that I could put an insert into my Superior ZC fireplace because it would be a serious fire hazard. I said that I was thinking about installing the Lennox Striker C160, and that the brochure stated that it could be installed inside of a ZC fireplace. He said he has installed hundreds of the C160, and that the idea of using it in a ZC fireplace is merely a marketing gimmick, and he refuses to install them into a ZC fireplace for any amount of money offered. He tells people to "go find someone else to install it if you insist on risking your family's safety!" (Yeah....I am sure these comments are bound to stir the pot a bit!)

Please see my other post below announcing the install of my Heatilator Constitution! Time to buy my Bermuda shorts for the winter!!! :)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22955/

So what were his reason's for not installing the C160 besides its a marketing gimmick? he must of elaborated somewhat on the subject
I know 2 people besides myself who run the C160 in a ZC box, and none of us had had any issues

My neighbor has one too...and he has had no issues either. I am simply repeating what he told me yesterday. This particular installer installs heavily for the wholesale market for builders, and not usually for homeowners. He is a professional authorized installer for Lennox and Heatilator products. He certainly wasn't selling me anything.....as the wholesale dealer is a friend (of a friend). I do believe that HE has concerns....justified or not.... with how (and I quote him) "people are just popping in inserts left and right for a quick buck without regard for peoples' safety".

Status
Not open for further replies.