Deck Finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So I'm thinking of covering my deck with the following product, just wondered if anyone has used this or other products and what thoughts are. Although the deck is not directly pool side, there is pool traffic from below, and a small 5x12' pool side deck also that I'd like to coat. Just tired of the whole stain routine every few years and really don't care about seeing the wood grain. I have heard that coatings are suppose so let the wood breathe, but I've seen the stuff on docks that have been around for years. Pros and Cons please? Or what should I use? Thanks gang.

http://www.armorpoxy.com/pool-coatings-outdoor-patios-decks/

Pros? It looks like it would be a nice product. Cons? On a wooden deck it will seal that wood from breathing and in time I think it would ruin your deck. I'm grating my deck with a antimicrobial oil based stain and leaving it at that. May have to renew it from time to time, but to TOTALLY seal the top of the your deck would be bad IMHO.

Seems to me all the little nooks and crannies would be fantastic at collecting dirt...you would probably have to power was it pretty frequently if there is a lot of traffic coming directly from the yard, etc. I've never used it, so I can't say for sure.

My BIL stained his deck a light shade of tan and it looked good on day 1, and pretty nasty on day 30+ for the reasons stated above.

It sounds like the product is really more suited to a deck in bad shape. If the deck is in decent shape, I fear the wood is holding too much moisture for it to work well. My buddy used products like this and the biggest issue is movement - expansion and contraction or just plain old movement. He uses a product that he applies over old siding and on concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.