Deep thoughts by chewels handy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
Hello all

I had plans of buying an Empyre elite 200 for the 2013-2014 winter. After reading all the horror stories about the elite 100 I'm not so pumped up now.

About how much $ does it cost to install a gasser that needs storage? I want to heat an 1800 sq ft shop and a 1200 sq ft basement and main floor of the house. I also want to utilize the pex lines that I currently have for my pos owb "The Free Heat Machine!!!".

Any thoughts or suggestion are welcome.

Erin

Hello, I had asked a similar question on cost of a total retrofit for electric heat. Seems 10-15k for a boiler with storage was the thought.
Also in my reading it looks like improperly insulated underground pex is very problematic with water intrusion and heat loss.

Good luck!

Jeff

Arbutus, I have pex insulated with closed cell foam sprayed around them.

Nrcrash, I was hoping I could do it less than 10k minus the building. How is the vigas holding up? Do you like it? How many sq ft do you heat? Burn times? Wood usage?

Ty
Erin

Lots of localized variables to consider.

Do you have a nearby source of used propane tanks? That'll play a big factor. Along with what you have to start with.

I haven't added mine all up yet. I think I'm in the 12k range. That includes 1k for a new electric hot water tank & used electric boiler for backup heat & misc. stuff to hook them up, and also includes somewhere in the area of 2k for freight/duty/exchange rates to get my boiler to my driveway.

Maple1, I've been watching clist for the last couple months for used propane tanks and nothing has popped up. Is there any good links on how to plumb up a gasser with storage? How is the varm doing?

Erin

i estimated $12.5k for install in barn. this includes sheetrock and insulated room inside barn and spray foam pex run to house. used propane tanks and doing all of the work myself besides spray foam. so far i am right on track...

Status
Not open for further replies.