Defiant Encore 2140

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

polarllama

Nov 27, 2017
Indiana
Hello All,

I recently picked up a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore 2140. This thing is in serious need of some help. There are no cracked or broken panels but the damper is stuck/frozen, the primary air valve seems to be stuck/frozen-though the handle moves freely. Almost all bolts are absolutely stuck... even as they have been sitting in PB Blaster for the last few days. It appears I will be extracting most bolts/screws to make repairs. Any advice or ideas as to why the damper is stuck, things to looks for, and the best way to go about working on the primary air?

It may not be worth all the trouble to repair. The bypass latching mechanic is most likely all seized up like the bolts. The bolts typically come out ok, I’m guessing this thing was overfired pretty regularly or sat in a damp basement?

It may not be worth all the trouble to repair. The bypass latching mechanic is most likely all seized up like the bolts. The bolts typically come out ok, I’m guessing this thing was overfired pretty regularly or sat in a damp basement?

Finally got it apart. Nots as bad as I thought. I had to extract several bolts due to rust, but I would say this thing was fired very little and has sat for a very long time. At the moment the top issue is trying to figure out how the primary air is supposed to work... Hmmm...

Does the flapper move freely?

Whew, ok... So I got the damper to work great. It was pretty stuck with a lot rust under the damper link access panel, but all is well now. Now I'm onto trying to extract the 4 broken bolts that house the catalyst and trying to figure out how the primary air works. Currently... the line from the thermostat and the flap are both connected, but there is little reaction when I turn the thermostat-mostly the flap won't close on its own. I have tried adjusting the cord length but with little luck. Any ideas or thoughts?

Whew, ok... So I got the damper to work great. It was pretty stuck with a lot rust under the damper link access panel, but all is well now. Now I'm onto trying to extract the 4 broken bolts that house the catalyst and trying to figure out how the primary air works. Currently... the line from the thermostat and the flap are both connected, but there is little reaction when I turn the thermostat-mostly the flap won't close on its own. I have tried adjusting the cord length but with little luck. Any ideas or thoughts?
It operates on a bi-metallic coil. The coil senses heat and then closes. It may be working fine, just needs some heat.
The bolts are all 1/4-20, just break them but be prepared to drill and tap if the bolts don’t pass through.

You can't really see it, but there is a rod that guides the cable around the corner to the flapper. It's entirely possible there is debris in there, either bits of cement that have deposited or even from rodent activity if the stove sat for a long period. It an cause trouble with that whole rod/cable thing. Open the flapper by hand then vacuum out as best you can with a big honkin shop vac! Maybe even try to dig around in there with a coat hanger or something . The whole thing should move freely, and if you were to suddenly shut the thermostat lever, you should hear the flapper slap shut, even if it doesn't stay shut 100%.