Rebuild Older Vermont Castings or new purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scuba68

Feb 27, 2022
South Puget Sound
Hello all,
The time has come to make a decision on whether to rebuild our Vermont Castings Defiant Encore wood stove or pull the trigger on a new wood stove.

The defiant came with the house we bought a few years ago, and clearly showed signs of being over fired, The new parts needed, upper and lower fireback, A new damper assembly and refractory, Gaskets etc will most likely set us back about 1200-1400ish, And I'd be doing the rebuild. That said we love the stove and wonder how it would perform if it was operating properly.
Wanting to make the right call but There are so many choices its easy to hesitate, The new stoves obliviously conform to EPA standards and would offer more than our older Defiant. Some of the stoves I've been looking at are the Woodstock Ideal steel hybrid and the Ashford 30, And Lopi. I've read some great reviews on them :). The Stove would be in our living room with a cathedral ceiling and heating app 2-2,200 sq ft.
I keep coming back to the Woodstock Ideal for some reason although it weighs in at 620lbs and I wonder about my floor joists., not sure how much the Defiant weighs . What are your thoughts? Are there some other models that stand out among the crowd?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Defiant Encore #2.jpg Defiant Encore #1.jpg

Other with direct experience can offer specific insight but if I had to choose between the VC or an Ashford I’d choose the BK. What shape is the chimney in?

Thanks for the repys, EbS-P its 8 inch pipe and in good shape, Joop I'm 50/50 with this going either way, that's why I thought i would throw this out there and see what everyone's thoughts are... My wife and I love the VC large glass doors for the fire and it's a great looking stove but it sure does need attention. Wondering what burn times I could get after a rebuild?

Is it a catalytic 2n1 Defiant or a downdraft neverburn model?

Reactions: Ashful
Wondering what burn times I could get after a rebuild?
Maybe half that of the BK, if you're lucky?

I'm never anxious to throw away any old appliance that's in good working order, but catch me putting $1200-$1400 new money into an old VC... you will not.

i'd fix the vc ,1500 hundred and you get another ,maybe 10yrs why not
Because it won't go 10 years on the $1500. It will be another 500 in 2 years 300 the next 800 2 years after that. It's just how those stoves go

Reactions: Ashful
My concern would be a Princess on 8”.

begreen, Defiant Encore 0028 or 2140, Model # Not listed on the back tag I far I as can tell, but the catalytic panel removes from the back of the stove and it has the top load lid.

Defiant Encore #3.jpg

begreen, Defiant Encore 0028 or 2140, Model # Not listed on the back tag I far I as can tell, but the catalytic panel removes from the back of the stove and it has the top load lid.

View attachment 313323
Ok the cat models are definitely much better but personally I still wouldn't spend the money on it

The label mentions 1988, which is Phase 1 of the first federal regulations on woodstoves.
1990 was Phase 2 of that rule. If it was made after 1990, the label would bear that date.

So VC owners could clue you in to which model of Defiant, catalytic, was made in 1988.

BKVP

Reactions: Woody Stover
stoves I've been looking at are the Woodstock Ideal steel hybrid and the Ashford 30, And Lopi. I've read some great reviews on them :). The Stove would be in our living room with a cathedral ceiling and heating app 2-2,200 sq ft. I keep coming back to the Woodstock Ideal for some reason although it weighs in at 620lbs
How is your insulation and air-sealing? Those will be factors in how much heat you need, but the winters there are generally mild. Is that the reason you are looking at cats and hybrids, for lower output. A non-cat can be run at lower output with partial loads, but it won't be as hands-off as a cat stove on low. But if someone's around to load when needed, or if your house is very tight and doesn't lose heat fast, or if you don't mind the backup heat coming on occasionally, a non-cat can certainly work.
I've been partial to Woodstock since I saw the build quality of their original straight cat stoves, when my SIL got a used Fireview. That convinced me to get a Keystone, which I've been completely happy with.
I've not seen their hybrids, but if you "keep coming back" to one, I think you should listen to the still, small voice.. 😏

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the great info and insight, Much appreciated. I'm still weighing this out.
Narrowing down the choices to, PE Alderlea T5, BK Ashford, Woodstock Ideal 210, Lopi Rockport or Jotul F500 Olso.
So... I have some reading to do :)

All decent choices but the F500. (I love my Jotul but would not buy ever buy a the F500 with a catalytic converter. Personally I lean toward the T5. Tax credit might be a consideration. Replacing a catalytic converter every 10,000 hours probably costs about the what your tax credit is ($2000 max) over 20 years assuming you burn 24/7 for 4+ months a year.

I would not put 1400-1500 into that stove. Also, will any of the new stoves mentioned above work with the 8” pipe? Am I missing something 😝

there is no comparison to an older VC encore to either of the newer stoves you mentioned. I swapped from a VC Encore to the blazeking and its night and day better. The BK holds wayyy more wood and is much simpler to use. The VC Encore was a huge PIA to get to run consistent.

Only thing that is better about a VC is i think they look better. If your only using the stove here and there or just for looks its hard to beat the VC Encore. The Ashford wins every other category for me.

Reactions: Loueze and Ashful
I sold my old defiant /encore in blue enamel and bought a brand new one in the twilight .
It’s pretty , but I’ve had nothing but trouble with the new one .
On top of that , the guy that bought my old one sent me a text / video telling me how happy he is with his new stove .
The dealer support I received was non existent.
This forum is the only source of reliable information .
I agree with you completely about the top load / appearance/ ash pan and all that but I would NEVER buy another one and wish I could get out of this one .
I’m about ready to put it out by the road and buy a new sheet steel stove from Tractor Supply !!
By all means - get the Blaze king - at least they can still use the 8” chimney .