Defiant Encore 2190 . How much should it cost? Ballpark?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
I have a Defiant Encore 2190 that I received from a friend doing a flip. It appears that the stove has hardly ever been used. I am putting it on a porch that is being built this summer.

My question is, how much, ballpark, do y'all think it should cost to take this thing apart, chisel out old cement, check all parts like air intake cable and damper function, recement and re-gasket and put back together. This is labor as well as a gasket set and 6 tubes of cement and also a Cat (I figure $250).

Any input? I guess a skilled person could do this in a full day. I have a fireplace company coming to look at it and give me a quote. I'm figuring, with the Cat, about $1000 but have no idea.

There is the possibility of doing this myself...

I usually give an estimate of $1500 because they always need new internals. Honestly to me I don't see that it's worth it for one of these stoves.

I usually give an estimate of $1500 because they always need new internals. Honestly to me I don't see that it's worth it for one of these stoves.
Thank you so muck for your response. I probably should have posted my plan for use, too. It's for a porch we are building on our deck that is 20' x 20'...so essentially its expected to heat 800 feet whenever we want to extend our time on the deck. This is not intended as a use to heat a large area. In addition we like being able to see the fire through the glass.

Thank you so muck for your response. I probably should have posted my plan for use, too. It's for a porch we are building on our deck that is 20' x 20'...so essentially its expected to heat 800 feet whenever we want to extend our time on the deck. This is not intended as a use to heat a large area. In addition we like being able to see the fire through the glass.
Yeah I still don't see that it's worth it. I would get a much less complicated reliable and easier to operate stove.

I think it has hardley been used...I havent even really cleaned it up yet.

stove1.jpg stove2.jpg

I think it has hardley been used...I havent even really cleaned it up yet.

View attachment 294758 View attachment 294759
Yes I understand that. I still don't think it is worth spending the money on that stove. If you can just use it untill the internals need replaced then scrap it yeah go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't rebuild it myself. But there are people who do it. We rebuild a couple a year.

Reactions: Investmentdude
You can get a brand new stove (Drolet Escape 1800) for less than $1500. Different looks, but ...
So, if you have some connection to this thing, it may be worth it. But otherwise...

The stove looks in pretty nice condition. If the refractory is still in good shape and there are no other issues then I would get a new cat for it and enjoy.
Verify that this is the right cat for the stove

Last edited:
Yeah, put a cat in it and burn it. It may indeed be plenty of stove fpr a porch in Maryland just as it is. Oh, I don't see the throat hood but I assume you have it?

This is a modern stove. Moved to the main forum to reduce redundant postings.