Defiant install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pbilt717

Oct 8, 2023
Kansas
Hey new guy here. We just purchased a used Defiant 1975 to install in our home. We had an installer come by to quote for the install. The only thing he doesn’t do is the floor and wall protection. We plan to do the tiling ourselves but having problems with finding materials that have a high enough R value. I’ve read a lot on here about micore but can’t find any in Kansas. Local hardware stores says I can’t use cement board either. Floor size is basically 5x5 and the wall will be 5x8 roughly. Anyone ran into this before and what did you do? Hopefully will have it installed by mid November

A couple 1/2" layers of Durock NexGen cement board will cover the required R value for the hearth. The manual says R = .59 is required.

Where is that in the manual? When reading about the r value all i found was the equation. It also stated they tested it at the 1.03. I assume I can buy this at Home Depot or Lowe’s? Also what about thin set and grout? The fire place and wood stoves stores in my area won’t answer or return calls. Think they are just about sales and that’s it.

My error, you are correct. Reading the docs again on page 10 the requirement is R=1.06 unless the stove is used with the screen as a fireplace. Then it is R=2.12. Two layers of 1/2" Durock NexGen with tile will get to R=1.04 before tile.

We have stained concrete floors so we didn't do anything for beneath our Defiant. For the wall heat shield we attached 1/2" sheathing screwed to the studs (to act as a place that the heat shield could bite into) and 1/4"of HardieBacker so that that it would be flush with our trim. Then we used 1" stainless steel spacers to create a 1" air gap and on those we put 1/2" HardieBacker with tile over that.