Defiant refractory unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuemac

Aug 18, 2010
NH
I bought a new refractory unit for my model 1945 defiant and my question is do I remove the old one from the front or take the back off to do it? It looks pretty simple i just don't want to dismantle the inside of the stove to get it out if I don't have to.
Thanks for any help

I think i need to remove the " damper" assembly. I do have a manual but it doesn't tell how to do much except care for the unit.
Thanks

You need to do it from the inside.
Remove the Throat Baffle (#26) by sliding it to the right & lifting it out.
Remove the Right & Left Side Wedges (#44 & #45) by tapping upwards
with a brass hammer so you don't damage the castings.
Remove the fire bricks & I believe the Fireback (#27) should come out.
Remove the Left & Right Heat deflectors (#7 & #8).
The Refractory Assembly Body (#9) the Cat (#10) & the Refractory Access
Panel (#11) should come out as a unit.
IIRC, you can do this WITHOUT removing the Upper Fireback/Damper Assembly (#19),
but I admit that I haven't disassembled one of these beasts in about 6 - 7 years...
If this works, clean the area completely & reverse the steps to reassemble...

DAKSY
The refractory unit top is behind the damper. Thats my delema. I don't want to remove the damper if I don't have to. The other steps were east til now.
Thanks for you help.

You have to drop the upper fireback assm, (the damper assm) other wise you will damage the refractory you just bought $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.