1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Defiant water coil

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by GSPdog, Feb 16, 2014.

1. GSPdog

GSPdog New Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Has anyone seen or used a hot water coil for a 1975 Defiant woodstove? I think there was an optional coil for these stoves but haven't seen one anywhere. Pics would be great if available. I may build my own version some day.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    VC at one point made a water device that would be retrofitted by drilling holes.
    Assuming you want just some help with domestic hot water, my two favs are:

1. Yukon Hot Rod - this entails drilling one large hole through a side panel, but is a time tested solution.
    2. Custom-made copper coil for against the rear outside of the stove - this would be a serpentine, ideally made from finned copper like they make DHW coils from. If you put a sheet metal shield (like a rear heat shield) behind it, that traps a nice amount of heat in.

The external one is safer because it is less likely to create fast steam. Either, though, can be tied to a tank higher (if possible) to thermo syphon. Otherwise you definitely need a brass, bronze or ss circulator, all the proper controls and a good functioning PR value.
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Success with either type of coil is very dependent on water quality, if you have "hard" water that forms scale, a hot water coil is going to scale up inside fairly quickly. Plan on having to boil it out with acid on occasion. I would strongly urge you to install an external loop of the back of the unit. If you have the heat shield for the back it would be easy to extend the spacers, if not, there should be four tapped holes on the four corners of the back of the stove that you can use to rig the coil.