Define the 3-2-10 Rule Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2006
I am looking to get info to install an interior chimney for my new Englander 30. Could you please define the 3-2-10 rule?

1) your stack must be 3' foot above where it exits the roof on the high side minimum.
2) it must also be 2' above anything within 10' in any direction (excluding went pipes etc)

Was the last thread not understandable???

http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.html

shows the two parts of the rule - that is it. Either your chimney meets one of them or the other (is more than 10 ft or less than 10 ft from peak).

Direct from NFPA enclosed.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 5,292
I apologize if my question was already answered. I forgot about that post and your answer. I searched the site for "3-2-10 rule" and didn't find what seemed like a definition. I understand the concept now. Thank you for you patience.

No problem - I really had to get that image anyway....it explains it better than we can. I am going to post a little wiki article when I have time, so we can just point there. Sometimes we think these things are too easy....but I remember it took a while for that one to soak into my head. Anything that involves "a level plane" automatically sets off my 8th grade math class phobia.

Web I tried to post a shot from the Quad Man for 4300ST but its a pdf and I couldnt get it to work, You might look at that as I think its a better depiction. Page 19 of the instalation man

Just use the mathematical formula & you won't get into trouble.
Take the top number (run) of the roof pitch & multiply it by 10.
Add 24 to that & that's how high - from the upper side of the chimney -
you have to be to the bottom of the cap.
Eg. 10/12 pitch (in inches)
10 X 10 = 100.
100 + 24 =124
124" = 10'4" out of the roof.
If you are closer to the peak than 10':
Take that distance & multiply it times the top number (run).
Let's say you're 3' from the peak on a 10/12 pitch:
3 X 10 = 30.
30 + 24 = 54.
54 = 4'6" out of the roof.
A LOT easier to understand than trying to measure a 3'-2'-10' rule.
DO the trig. The numbers work.

I understand the concept, it is measuring along a horizontal plane while standing on my roof that is the challenge. I will continue to assume that my chimney is OK until I get a much better GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.