1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Dehumidifiers

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Retired Guy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Last year I put in a 70 pt/day dehumidifier in my basement and for the first time had a dry and musty odor free cellar. Of course the one I bought was made by Gree (China) and is subject to recall. Anyone know of a brand that hasn't been recalled? Hopefully one made in the US.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not cheap, but I have one in a crawl.....
    http://www.thermastor.com/

I use a chinese one in my house here because it doesn't hit the low temps that the crawl does and is a friendlier and cleaner environment.
  3. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I have had three dehumidifiers, While they keep everything dry, the also suck electricity like crazy. I wonder if an air exchanger might not be more efficient?
  4. Retired Guy

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Models from these brands are made by Gree and subject to recall. Not a lot of options left for moderate/low cost units. Aprilaire does make a couple of models in the sub $1,00 range. Just need to see what happens with the recall. I wonder how much water the hybrid electric water heaters take out of the air. The thermastor models look good.

Danby,Premiere, De’Longhi, SuperClima, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Seabreeze, SoleusAir
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    How recent is the recall? I had a Frigidaire that only lasted 2 years and I had to fight to get it replaced on the sealed system warranty. New unit is only 6mo old.
  6. Retired Guy

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. festerw

festerw Member

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
  8. raiderfan

raiderfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western MA
    I have a 70 pint danby that I use a couple hours at a time to keep it around 50-60%. Its draining to a shower drain in my basement, but I do not keep it running constantly because it heats the area up 5+ degrees F. The fan on the Danby runs constantly. Do not like that feature.