Dell Point Europa 75 not heating up very well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learningtoburn

Dec 1, 2016
Flint, Michigan
I am new to pellet stoves, burned wood most of my life and just purchased a 2006 Dell Point Europa 75. I have read a bunch of posts on here, some say good things others not so good but I feel after getting some advise from this forum that I got a good deal. I have taken it all apart, cleaned it up and have ran it several times.
I do NOT use this to heat my home but rather to heat an uninsulated enclosed covered porch here in Michigan for extra space and a place to hang out. I used to have a wood stove that would get the area so hot you literally could sit out there in your underwear on a single digit night and still be warm. I cannot seem to get the Europa to heat the area over 62 degrees and it's 27 out. Am I missing something, did I make the wrong decision for what I am trying to do with it or am I not doing something I should to get the heat this thing is capable of producing?
I mean I have seen people post how they heat their 2200 square foot homes to 75 degrees and all I am trying to warm up to 70 is a 12' x 20' room with 7'6" ceilings. There seems to be some good heat coming out of the it right in front of it but if you stand 6-7' away the air is cool. I thought maybe I wasn't letting it run long enough so I fired it up last night around 7pm and it has been running on level 3 all night, I turned it up to level 4 around 9am and when I just went out at 10:45 it still was only 50 degrees, so I kicked it up to level 5 now and will let it run like that for a couple hours and see where I'm at but I really didn't think I would have to burn that much fuel, maybe I do. I have a manual I downloaded but it is very sketchy at best on even the start up as far as how much fuel I should start with, and I cannot seem to get a good ash level even with the ash auger set at level1.
Please help.....

If you're not drawing your combustion air from the outside, you're using heated air from the room for the fire, which means you're drawing a lot of outside air into the room, cooling it down. Your wood stove probably did the same, but to a lesser degree.

If you're not drawing your combustion air from the outside, you're using heated air from the room for the fire, which means you're drawing a lot of outside air into the room, cooling it down. Your wood stove probably did the same, but to a lesser degree.

So what you're saying is get my combustion air out thru the wall and that should help? I can do that easy enough, thanks....

What are you using for pellets? Sometimes it's a garbage in, garbage out situation. Poor quality pellets often produce little heat. As heat seeker mentioned, an OAK doesn't throw pre-heated air out the exhaust vent.

The manual: http://www.paromax.ca/dir/Media/Europa 75 english manual EUK-En-A 11_11A.pdf

If you don't clean out ash, efficiency will drop. Just tried 3 days without touching the Elena and the efficiency has suffered. The Europa has 4 ash ports inside the firebox that have to be opened (page 23). I use a dryer lint brush to run up the inspection ports a few times on the Elena. I follow that with a tube on the attachment on the shop vac with drywall bag (ash needs to be cold!).

There are different burn pots for different fuels (corn/wheat, pellets). Make sure you have the right one for the fuel you are using.

Think tortoise and the hare when comparing pellet stoves to wood stoves. Pellets are slow and steady...

So what you're saying is get my combustion air out thru the wall and that should help? I can do that easy enough, thanks....
Yes, we call it an OAK - Outside Air Kit. Feeds outside air directly to the stove. It eliminates drafts in the room, and doesn't use already heated air for combustion. That might not be your major problem, but it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.