Department of Public Works - Free Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to go do the city dump tomorrow and just ask what the deal is, worst case they say know, but at least i will know yea or nay.
Thanks all.

I just scored three cord worth of 12-20 inch rounds of DPW wood about a block from my house. I called the city garage after the tree dropped and they told me they just leave it for guys like me to take. Two days later they dropped two more and the next day someone else was in on the action.

A few years ago I was reading an auction notice that our school district had made. It had all sorts of surplus equipment that I wasn't interested in. One of the more curious things they were auctioning was the right to remove storm damaged trees from certain school property.

I work for the city (but wrong dept.) and they dump it all at our waste facility, and burn most of it. If you are lucky enough to get there quick you might get some, but the good stuff goes home with the city crews that cut it. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.