Depressed in MS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Ok so I'm going to try and get through this. Today I dropped a tall skinny oak tree off of a fence row. I didn't notice until it started falling in the exact direction I wanted it to go, that I had brilliantly left my 661 right in its path. The oak bounced off of the top handle and hit the ground. Upon first inspection I thought I had only damaged the handle when I flipped it over I threw up in my mouth a little bit. The case was busted on both sides where the AV system attaches, as well as the chain cover. I know the rule is "pictures or it didn't happen" I was kinda hoping that in this case if I didn't take pictures it actually wouldn't have happened plus I was too distraught at the time to remember to take pics. Anyway it's in the shop with a estimate of $450 in parts $150 in labor to right this wrong. Let my mistake be a lesson to everyone check and double check before making that cut. It could save you a lot of money. Im currently accepting thoughts and prayers as I try to ward of this serious case of chainsaw depression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok so I'm going to try and get through this. Today I dropped a tall skinny oak tree off of a fence row. I didn't notice until it started falling in the exact direction I wanted it to go, that I had brilliantly left my 661 right in its path. The oak bounced off of the top handle and hit the ground. Upon first inspection I thought I had only damaged the handle when I flipped it over I threw up in my mouth a little bit. The case was busted on both sides where the AV system attaches, as well as the chain cover. I know the rule is "pictures or it didn't happen" I was kinda hoping that in this case if I didn't take pictures it actually wouldn't have happened plus I was too distraught at the time to remember to take pics. Anyway it's in the shop with a estimate of $450 in parts $150 in labor to right this wrong. Let my mistake be a lesson to everyone check and double check before making that cut. It could save you a lot of money. Im currently accepting thoughts and prayers as I try to ward of this serious case of chainsaw depression.

Bummer, man...at least it's not your head that's in the shop [emoji106]

I was just about to like your post, but you know what, I didn't enjoy it. Actually, that post friggin sucks, seems backhanded to "like" it.

Sucks man, I feel your pain. In Mississippi, I'm sure it takes a few years to recover that cost given the mild winter climate, even with free wood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Experience is what you get right after you needed it. Thank you for sharing--maybe you helped keep someone else from making the same mistake.

Probably everybody here feels your pain. The only silver lining is what @Rangerbait pointed out...it could have been far worse had it been you or a loved one instead of the saw. (I don't mean to imply that your saw isn't a "loved one" but you know what I mean.) Good luck and please keep us updated.

I was just about to like your post, but you know what, I didn't enjoy it. Actually, that post friggin sucks, seems backhanded to "like" it.

Sucks man, I feel your pain. In Mississippi, I'm sure it takes a few years to recover that cost given the mild winter climate, even with free wood.

That's a fact. Best I can figure I just spent about 40% of what I save annually heating with wood.

As everyone has stated it could always be worse and I am very thankful that no one was hurt.

I am very cautious when operating a chainsaw and this is the first mishap I've had in 20 years and hopefully the last. It just goes to show what happens when you loose concentration for one instant.

That's a fact. Best I can figure I just spent about 40% of what I save annually heating with wood.

As everyone has stated it could always be worse and I am very thankful that no one was hurt.

I am very cautious when operating a chainsaw and this is the first mishap I've had in 20 years and hopefully the last. It just goes to show what happens when you loose concentration for one instant.

well if you add it up over the years, you are still saving money. accidents happen, glad you're ok.

I got a screaming deal on my saw, then ended up frying the brake assembly, trashing a bar, and tearing a fuel line within the first 2 weeks of owning it. I spent more on the repairs than I did on the saw....

Whats a 661 ?

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. When accidents happen, it's bad enough. But when it's caused by a momentary lapse in our attention, it makes it all the worse. Try not to blame yourself too much, take your 450 licks and ride on. And, most importantly, you're still kickin'!

Reactions: StihlKicking
At least a tree fell on yours, and you did not have to explain to the wife that you ran it over with the truck, or left it sitting on the track of the excavator.
Sucks either way, and an accident is an accident, but at least you were not driving the tree.

So sorry...hopefully when the 661 gets out of the chainsaw ER, she'll be better than she was before.

Finally got my 661 back from the shop. It's got 2 new crank case halves, chain guard and top handle. $610 stung a little but I'm happy to have her back home.

Finally got my 661 back from the shop. It's got 2 new crank case halves, chain guard and top handle. $610 stung a little but I'm happy to have her back home.

I hate to ask, but how much for a new 661?

$1200 the saw I had fixed is about 8 months old

Good, you are still way ahead. Glad that you are back in business, and that it was the saw and not you. You wouldn't have even gotten through your deductible for that! Consider it tuition.