Depressing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
This is from my town Dump. No saws allowed. A couple times a year they come by with a semi trailer sized wood chipper and add this stuff to the giant compost piles. I take what I can but most of it is too big.

Attachments

• dumpwood.jpg
    dumpwood.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 672
How about a trailer with a low deck, some sort of ramp and a winch or a come along?

Agreed. If this is a regular thing then it might be worth investing in a rig that can load this stuff easily. Or speak to the contractor and offer him some easy money to make the drop at your place.

funny you guys suggested the winch. I actually bought an electric winch that i have yet to install onto my trailer. That will definitely increase the size of the logs that I can handle, but there will always be huge logs that only a saw would handle. I used to bring my saw but they changed the rules.

I manage to scrounge enough that I haven't had to pay for wood, but if I ever ran out of sources then I'd try to get more of the wood from the dump.

It's still depressing from an environmental standpoint though. That wood could replace an awful lot of oil. The wood you see in that photo is only a tiny portion of the total volume that goes through that dump, and this is just one town.

I winch whole logs with a boat winch. Biggest one so far a 17ft ash about 20inchs across.

smokinjay said:
I winch whole logs with a boat winch.

Thats what I think every time I see one of those tandem axle pontoon boat trailers go by. Need heavier axles though.

I understand the "rule", you certainly don't want every fool in town out there with a chainsaw, but JEEZ! What a waste of resources.

Is there anyway you could raise an objection to such waste? my thought process is that your community could benefit greatly if the town hired a chainsaw guy for a day and cut the wood into more manageable sizes. Maybe no one has bothered to point the obvious out the bureaucrats without a clue?

free73degrees said:
funny you guys suggested the winch. I actually bought an electric winch that i have yet to install onto my trailer. That will definitely increase the size of the logs that I can handle, but there will always be huge logs that only a saw would handle.

Mount that winch, you will be amazed what it can do.

Attachments

• wench2a.jpg
    wench2a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 598
Nothing in that picture that is too big to handle. A simple cant hook and a plank would roll that thing right up onto a trailer.

I agree, you should bring this to the attention of the city fathers and maybe rather than wasting they could be helping some folks. Lean heavy on the energy theme and even renewable energy.

Who's dumping this wood - the city?
Go talk to the crew chief - get him to dump it at your house. (A city crew may not be able to, though, for fear of showing favouritism.)
If it's tree groomers, go talk to them. They don't have the restrictions of a city crew. See the "So I talked to the owner of a tree service..." thread.
If it's random people - post a sign: "Dump here for free, or call me - if it's worthy of firewood, I have cash!"
But get that wood before it gets chipped! :)

Bobbin said:
I understand the "rule", you certainly don't want every fool in town out there with a chainsaw, but JEEZ! What a waste of resources.

Is there anyway you could raise an objection to such waste? my thought process is that your community could benefit greatly if the town hired a chainsaw guy for a day and cut the wood into more manageable sizes. Maybe no one has bothered to point the obvious out the bureaucrats without a clue?

With 90% of the municipalities in the "red" right now, no way they are going to do that.

Very sad indeed. I am amazed at what I can get I my trailer when I "want'' something. A little yankee ingenuity is all you need.

KC

The pieces in that picture look like I would sledge and wedge split them down to movable size.That round one for instance in the lower right conner would get split in half and the halves split again then moved.Just bring several long wedges and a heavy sledge and get to work.That wood is delicious.What town has this wood lot ?We'll do it together.Cheers !

free73degrees said:
funny you guys suggested the winch. I actually bought an electric winch that i have yet to install onto my trailer. That will definitely increase the size of the logs that I can handle, but there will always be huge logs that only a saw would handle. I used to bring my saw but they changed the rules.

I manage to scrounge enough that I haven't had to pay for wood, but if I ever ran out of sources then I'd try to get more of the wood from the dump.

It's still depressing from an environmental standpoint though. That wood could replace an awful lot of oil. The wood you see in that photo is only a tiny portion of the total volume that goes through that dump, and this is just one town.
I sometimes wonder why towns and city's don't build small power plants to burn this waste wood.

allhandsworking said:
I sometimes wonder why towns and city's don't build small power plants to burn this waste wood.

Some of them are selling the chips

maplewood said:
Who's dumping this wood - the city?
Go talk to the crew chief - get him to dump it at your house. (A city crew may not be able to, though, for fear of showing favouritism.)
If it's tree groomers, go talk to them. They don't have the restrictions of a city crew. See the "So I talked to the owner of a tree service..." thread.
If it's random people - post a sign: "Dump here for free, or call me - if it's worthy of firewood, I have cash!"
But get that wood before it gets chipped! :)
great idea! i get landfill from spring road cleaning & it saves them money. i do sign a release of liability form. saves gas & time so its a good thing. its your tax $$$ so they should give a good reason why not dump on your prop if its economically advantegous

BLIMP said:
great idea! i get landfill from spring road cleaning & it saves them money. i do sign a release of liability form. saves gas & time so its a good thing

+1. I get fill from the city water department, thousands of yards and it has worked out great for both the city and me.

Our town has a huge chipper, from what I understand it will even do stumps.
Gets sold along with sewer sludge (fertilizer component) to one of those name brand potting soil companies .
What doesn't get sold gets tossed in with compost.
Which is also getting sold rather than returned to the residents that 'donated' it.

Municipal dump near me at work is full of wood also, problem is you can drop off but no removal :-(

Municipal dump near me at work is full of wood also, problem is you can drop off but no removal :-(

ChrisNJ said:

Kind of like Hotel California, huh . . . you can check in, but never leave? ;)

I wonder how they'd respond to me draggin' that out with a chain, leaving a nice rut the whole way behind, then right outside the gates sawing it up. (don't do that, though, just thinking out loud)

I second the winch onto a trailer idea. or, are log arches street legal? (doubt it) http://www.mistersawmill.com/toppage1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.