Depth of insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Need to decide the dimensions of my knee wall that will be lined with plastic sheeting to form an air barrier then filled with blown in cellulose. Have a maximum of 18" of width from the wall to use. The 18" represents the distance to the attic window opening.

Two related questions: How deep should I make it; and do I need the full 18" width out from the wall?
IMG_20170913_165326381.jpg
IMG_20170913_165345603.jpg

Some additional information: The attic floor is tongue and groove over blown in fiberglass insulation that has settled.

The main problem, I believe, is the free flow of air at the intersection of the stone wall and the framing.

Last edited:
I think we need more info.
What is the intended use of the space?
What are you going to use to contain the cellulose against the walls? Are you building a 2nd knee wall inside the 1st?
Why the plastic and where exactly is it going?
If this is an attic why not add sealing/insulation to the floor rather than the knee walls? If you used foam board with plywood above you could then use the space for storage.

Semi got most of the needed questions.
My questions is, why not use the space you're going to wall off? If anything, why not frame out & make storage space or drawers to use the low space you're going to close off?

Last edited: