Design Deficiency - 'Too Many Coals'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage Posted:

On our stove, when the wood gets burned to the point that it is all red we open the draft about 1/2 way. After a while the pile has collapsed and is not level, but more level that when we opened the draft. At this point we open the draft full. We also push some of the coals towards the front but at this point we can’t do too much. After an hour we can usually make a big pile towards the front. Usually when the stove has dropped to 350 degrees or maybe 300 degrees the coals have burned down a lot so we have good room in the firebox.

This is what I do to mix green and seasoned :rake the coals to the front and put a green split side-ways in the back and seasoned splits front-to-back (over top of the coals and the green split.)

As long as this thread is still active, I'd like to ask if someone with a Pacific Energy 'Super Series' stove could describe the ash removal 'system' it uses, and how well it works.

I may (eventually) spring for a PE Fusion... and the purchase may end up being sight unseen since local dealers don't stock the Fusion.

PE actually capitalizes 'Ash Removal System' as if it was a notable feature...

Just curious.

Thanks.

Peter B.

-----

north of 60 said:
This coaling issue, tells me you need to burn pine. Ive ran a EPA non CAT and now an EPA CAT. I have never experienced these problem's. Is it all hardwood you guys burn? You might as well burn softwoods if your throwing out your hardwood that has not completely burnt. It doesn't make sense to me. Is any one still getting coaling with softwoods like pine or spruce?
OK now take it easy on me. :lol:

I'm new to this but that makes sense.

When i get home from work the coals practically spill out of the door. I'm trying to teach the wife but being that i'm new to it also it's like the blind leading the blind. I spend the next 3 hours at full open trying to burn down the coals. Shoveling out golf ball sized coals is brutal. It was at the point the other night the bucket was so full i almost couldn't hold the handle and i was wearing the same gloves i reach into the firebox with. It was HOT!!!

It really doesn't make sense to throw out the coals. So i guess use the softer wood during the day and the harder wood for the over night burn.

My problem is that the wife won't tolerate the temperature swings as I'm burning down the coals. If she sees it drop to 73 she puts the gas furnace to 75. I prefer the house at 72 and she insists on 75. My mods to the doghouse air help with the coals but towards the end of the evening, I try to reduce the coals further so I can really stoke it for an overnight burn and in burning down the coals let it drop to 72-73. I've given up trying to keep her hands off the furnace thermostat now and let her bump it to 75 for a few minutes as she gets ready for bed and I stoke the fire.

I would gently suggest to her that that is a huge waste of energy. A house at 72-3 when it's about 100 degrees colder outside is a warm house. However, I must admit I'm also bewildered by the desire to warm up the house before going to bed. The last thing we want when we go to bed is a hot house. We sleep so much better when it's cool.

Looks like quick reloads is one of the answers. Ive always done the full reload and burn down routine's.

kgrant said:
I can get both my stoves full of coals burning white spruce. Englander 30 and Blaze king King Cat. Happens more often with my Englander but that's because I'm warming up the cabin and trying to keep max heat output for 6-8 hours. Same thing happens with the Blaze king if i keep piling more wood in the firebox as soon as there's room for it.

It is far less noticeable with the Blaze king due to its firebox depth.

The lack of firebox depth on the Englander is my only complaint about the stove.

north of 60 said:
This coaling issue, tells me you need to burn pine. Ive ran a EPA non CAT and now an EPA CAT. I have never experienced these problem's. Is it all hardwood you guys burn? You might as well burn softwoods if your throwing out your hardwood that has not completely burnt. It doesn't make sense to me. Is any one still getting coaling with softwoods like pine or spruce?
OK now take it easy on me. :lol:

Quick reloads are my problem. It's much easier to run through the burn cycle in my house if the temps outside are
above zero. Once it's colder than zero, I have trouble maintaining a comfortable temp in the house if I wait
until the burn cycle completes by itself. If I'm in the house, I've been able to adjust by raking the coals forward
and burning them down with the air wide open. I think it wastes more wood, but I've got plenty of wood, and
being comfortable is more important. Now that the temps are back in the teens and low 20's, the normal burn
cycles are working just fine.

BeGreen said:
I would gently suggest to her that that is a huge waste of energy. A house at 72-3 when it's about 100 degrees colder outside is a warm house. However, I must admit I'm also bewildered by the desire to warm up the house before going to bed. The last thing we want when we go to bed is a hot house. We sleep so much better when it's cool.

Heh. You and me both, guy. I like being toasty warm under heavy covers and a cold nose! My unheated 2nd floor bedrooms get down to around 40 overnight in really cold weather (like the -20 we had the other night), and it suits me just fine.

I don't sweat it at all. I'll shovel out them coals in a heartbeat, throw 'em in the burn ring outside, and fire up my stove with good oak or ash. No problem. Only have to do it when burnin' real hard.

Indeed, I got a big porcelainized cooker with lid, open the side door, shovel out them red hot coals if they're in the way, load that cooker, throw the lid on it, take it outside..... don't feel guilty, don't lose sleep, house stays nice and toasty.

Let's see, it's mid January, and I've only done this twice so far this season, no big deal as far as this ole boy's concerned.

One more thing :) ..... I think thermostats can be recalibrated somehow to give 72 degrees when they're set to 75 ;-P

ansehnlich1,

I hear that! I will have a large metal trash can full of hardwood charcoal by the time grillin season rolls around.

TS

ansehnlich1 said:
One more thing :) ..... I think thermostats can be recalibrated somehow to give 72 degrees when they're set to 75 ;-P
Guilty as charged. Used to do that with the old bi-metal one but this one is digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.