Designing addition around insert/pipe: straight vs angled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
Going through the design stage of an addition with an architect- he keeps forgetting I want a wood stove. It will be in the interior of the house. How far does pipe have to be from a wall, if not encased in masonry? If I need to put the liner toward the back of the roof, and have to angle it, and it's only one story- I assume that straight is best, but if that's not possible, then shallow angles (no more than 45 degrees) is preferred for cleaning/creosote purposes, correct? Should I try to work harder on getting the design around the wood stove to come first?

The stove pipe clearance depends on whether it is single or double wall stove connector pipe. Single wall requires at least 18" clearance from wall and ceiling. Double wall requires at least 6" clearance from walls and 9" from ceilings.

Stand firm on the stove requirements. The stove should be centrally located in the house and a straight up pipe is most desirable.

Not sure what you mean by putting a liner? Maybe just the wrong choice of terms but a liner goes inside an existing chimney. Your setup should transition to class A chimney pipe at the ceiling with no masonry involved.

Reactions: newatthis
If you can post some plans or sketches of the floorplan that would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.