Desperately looking for blower fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisS

Nov 2, 2006
This is my first post, and I am anxious for help, as this is practically an emergency. I have a BisII stove installed by our contractor 4 years ago. I live at high elevation in the mountains of Northern New Mexico, and it can get darn cold at night.

The woodstove was installed with 2 blower fans wired in, 1 on each side, turned on by a wall switch. My wife is very artistic, and by the time she got things just the way she wanted, the stove was not nearly as efficient as it might be. (I am not complaining, I love the design myself, and I have more fuel than I can ever use). BUT-the stove requires the fans to adequately heat the house. One fan went out, and my “maintenance” on the other was a failure, I guess. The one I fixed worked great for 48 hours, but now it is stalled.

The company that made the fans appears to be out of business. The dealers have not offered any help-apparently the stove (BISII) is no longer being made. BUT it is associated with Lennox, so I don’t know what the problem is. Anyway, I am looking hard for 2 appropriate blowers. The ones I am replacing were mounted with magnetic strips to the bottom of the stove, essentially on either side of the ashtray. They are a “squirrel cage” type fans, with a hood that directs air towards the vents at the top. My opening will accommodate a fan of approximately 4 to 5 inches wide & high, and about 10 inches long. The fans I am replacing are about 5 inches long. I don’t mind paying a fair price for a good fan. I would especially like to something that is as quiet as possible. I hope someone has a good tip ASAP, as it is getting cold around here at night. I am going to try to attach a picture of the stove.

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,539
I spoke to Security, You can order the UZY-5 blower for the BISII. It retails for around $300. The local Security dealer can order it for you. The UZY 3 which was the orginal blower kit is also in stock.

Macey said:
I spoke to Security, You can order the UZY-5 blower for the BISII. It retails for around $300. The local Security dealer can order it for you. The UZY 3 which was the orginal blower kit is also in stock.
$300 for a blower.......OUCH :ahhh:
I'd try the grainger route myself.

GVA said:
Macey said:
$300 for a blower.......OUCH :ahhh:
I'd try the grainger route myself.

Jotul gets $300 for the blower for their gas stoves. Heck the one for the Englander I ordered was $160. Pretty pricey for a $16 motor, $7 reostat and four bucks worth of tin.

Actually a decent, ball bearing, horiz. transflow blower can cost a bit more. I got an 18" one in 1997 from Graingers and it cost about $90. Still have it and should probably put it in the for sale section. Even the shorter, sleeve bearing units were $40-50 at the time.

Come to think of it I don't know why one like the one coming in for my stove shouldn't be adaptable to a lot of these stoves people need blowers for. Held on with four screws and is just attached over a hole in the heat shield.

"AC-30 Blower Assembly (16 lbs. each)
$159.38
Blower (complete assembly, including screws for installation). 4.5" x 4.5" x 18".
With rheostat (to control fan speed)."

Attachments

• AC-30.jpg
    AC-30.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,409
Thanks for the replies so far. I am so glad I found this forum. I need to buy a fan for each side of the stove, which makes a $300.00 fan pretty expensive. The fan link provided by Andre shows some super cheap fans. Most of these fans are under $10.00. That’s not a misprint the-price is Ten dollars per fan. That price is so cheap that-for right now-I am having one of those “too good to be true” moments. Have you tried these in the past (Andre or anyone else?)

I am very interested in any blower someone has for sale. I would need two matching blowers, probably not longer than 10 inches. I will be connecting existing wires to the blower motor, so a “plug” is not required, or even advantageous.

Here is a picture taken from my deck last winter-you can see, that even in New Mexico, there are areas, depending on the elevation, that can get pretty cold for a few days. So this remains a “front burner” issue for me.

Attachments

• Hot Tub.jpg
    Hot Tub.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,283
This is what i bought for my wood stove last year........
Works great , lots of power and the fan speed is adjustable rheostat and has a heat temperature sensor to turn on and off.

Heat & Glo GFK-160A Fan Kit 160CFM

This is a brand new unit in the box and is the best in the industry. 160 CFM capacity.The fan includes a rheostat to vary the fan speed and also includes a temperature sensor switch to enable the fan to turn on and off with the heat produced by the fireplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Glo-GFK-16...6131937QQihZ003QQcategoryZ20564QQcmdZViewItem

I followed the link, as this seems interesting. Unfortunately, the picture of the actual product is not very helpful. The best solution for me appears to be a fan that sits on the bottom of the stove enclosure and throws air essentially straight up. Could you let me know which way this throws the air? I assume this is one blower per purchase?

DennisS said:
I followed the link, as this seems interesting. Unfortunately, the picture of the actual product is not very helpful. The best solution for me appears to be a fan that sits on the bottom of the stove enclosure and throws air essentially straight up. Could you let me know which way this throws the air? I assume this is one blower per purchase?
Yep , sit it on its but and it shoots air stright up. Hear is another picture of the same blower.
Yes there $99. each. normally $169. $210. Very good solid made fan/blower. I have seen many others "like" this one that are made cheap and cheezie and not very well built.

Attachments

• 11_1.jpg
    11_1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 97_1.jpg
    97_1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,321
Status
Not open for further replies.