destroyed by rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joz

Sep 17, 2016
Mountain Home AR
We are in our second year in current location and have discovered our Lodi Leyden has bee inundated with rust over the summer.We came from an area that had very low humidity and never experienced the phenomena of he interior of a wood stove being rusted. We inherited the stove with the house and the previous owners understood preventive maintenance only in theory. The catalytic combustor was already trashed, the enamel finished crazed, glass doors totally hazed over and now this fall we discovered the interior totally caked with rust. We know we need a new stove and chimney inspection but before we do anything we need to know how to prevent the large condensation problem. This morning was a classic example, outside air was 70 degrees and 75% humidity with interior temp in 60's (we're from Colorado and like cool nights) and when I lifted the top of the Lodi it was covered with condensation running off of it and the glass doors were soaked.

We live in a small Arkansas town with only two stove stores both of whom state that after 20 plus years in the business they never heard of such a situation. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to climb on the roof every Spring and Fall to bag and wrap my chimney?

Thanks

Many folks in higher humidity areas put a container of damp rid in their stove box to prevent condensation. After spring cleaning, a light spray with Pam on the walls of the fire box will also provide protection from rust. For longevity, capping the chimney may be a necessary part of the spring cleaning routine. If you go the cap route, leave yourself a reminder! YMMV.

Reactions: MaineGuideMK
I give it a serious cleaning at the end of the season as any crud left in there holds moisture.

I then leave a container of baking soda in there.

Otherwise, the rust demon will appear.

I've also never heard of anyone with that extreme situation, that doesn't mean that its not happening, I would look to correct the problem of the humidity first, sounds to severe for a dehumidifier, but perhaps air exchanger for the basement / bottom floor area, They are designed to keep the air moving through out the house, changing the whole house air many times a day, and the trade off is reduced humidity.

What type of chimney do you have? Metal or all masonry?

Status
Not open for further replies.