Determine Orientation of Glass Cassette Reflective Coating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPhill

Ther question arose when I downloaded the newest manual for my WinterWarm. The original 1280 manual says orient the coating by placing the cassette's rough welded corners toward the gasket. The newer and much more comprehensive manual for the 2100 WinterWarm says just the opposite; smooth corners toward the gasket. Oh great, which is right?

I finally got direct voice contact with a Vermont Castings engineer, who said both are correct -- they reversed the cassette frame for the 2100 because the smooth corners mate better to the gasket. He also said the reflective coating is always to be on the outside of the glass, away from the firebox.

To determine if it's right, check for continuity with a multi-meter. The uncoated side of the glass should register infinite resistance -- no continuity. The coated side of the glass is electrically conductive. With the multimeter set to 2000 ohms scale, I got readings all over the outside of the glass varying between 500 ohms and 1900 ohms:

img2972x.jpg

Wow, very cool. I would used to hold it up angled in the light and look for rainbows. very good tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.