1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Devil in the wood stove?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by raybonz, Jan 7, 2013.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well of course . . . you're a Fire Chief . . . no one who is sane would want the job of being the one guy who is responsible for the health and well being of 10-150 firefighters under their command . . . and no one who is sane would get into a career where you routinely go into buildings that are roughly 3 x the hottest setting on the oven . . . or get into a career where you can get called out at 2 in the morning routinely. :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    How true! But I am in good company!;) \

Funny you have said what I have thought since the day I was appointed Chief in 1994......even before that, starting in 1978 when I first ran into a burning building. I really didn't want it, but it seems that there is a natural succession in life and sometimes we just have to suck it up and accept the responsibility of our age and situation. I have always said that if I ever lost one of my FF's, I was done! That would be the worst. Thanks Jake for what you do. You guys prevent a lot of the bad from happening.;)
    raybonz likes this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Never have been and never will be a Chief . . . but trust me on this one . . . losing a brother on the scene is not a fun thing . . . only time I ever thought about quitting was a number of years ago when one firefighter went down from a heart attack while at the water hole . . . at the same fire we lost three boys (autistic triplets.) There were not too many dry eyes at the scene . . .

OK, enough of the back slapping and sad times . . . we now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
    raybonz and tfdchief like this.