Dewalt drill 988 18v chuck wont open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I have a Dewalt cordless tool set with drill, saw, light and others and today my 18 volt 988, on my hammer drill the chuck wont open. I can hold the chuck with my hand with enough force to stop the movement and the chuck would normally open in reverse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shipper

how old is the drill? Find a Dewalt service center these people are amazing. If it is still under warranty they will replace the chuck and anything else they find wrong and they will look. I have a 13 year old 18 volt hammer drill bought when 18 volt was the latest thing out on the market. I dropped for the umpteenth time off a 6' step ladder about 2 years ago, but this time it broke, the motor would run but the chuck would not spin. I took it in and their policy is $99 maximum cost. on mine they replaced the chuck, drive assembly, and the motor for $99 on a 10 plus year old drill. basically I got a new drill for $99 the case and the trigger switch was the only thing not replaced. That is their policy $99 maximum repair cost on any of their power tools.

Try tapping on the chuck with 2 hammers simultaneously from each side.

I can't help you with specifics on removing the chuck other to say that a new chuck is about $30 at lowes. All the chucks I have personally replaced were simply screwed on and I use an impact gun to spin them off.

They make special chucks that can take the hammer action so keep that in mind if you replace it.

Incidentally, I borrowed a corded DeWalt hammer drill the other week to drill about twenty 1/2" holes in concrete. Each hole took several minutes and I let the drill cool down between each hole. After 6 holes, the trigger switch failed due to a design flaw in a connector. $30 later, I replaced the switch (design flaw was fixed) and gave the drill back.

Then I bought the right tool to drill holes in concrete: a rotary hammer. It went through the concrete like butter. Harbor Freight has their Chinese model for about $60 and Northern Tool has one for $100. Both come with 3 or 4 SDS bits and a one year warranty.

I absolutely hate buying Chinese tools but I couldn't justify spending $400+ for something I will use about 10 minutes a year.

Shipper50 said:
I have a Dewalt cordless tool set with drill, saw, light and others and today my 18 volt 988, on my hammer drill the chuck wont open. I can hold the chuck with my hand with enough force to stop the movement and the chuck would normally open in reverse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shipper

I got the same drill. You may need to use some force to open it, like a couple of pipe wrenches, but it will release. Once you crack it loose oil the heck out of it with 3 in 1 or even wd-40 (although the latter won't last as long). I use my drill daily and I find the only time I have issues is when I forget to lubricate.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.