1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

DHW -- Oil vs Electric, getting closer to real numbers.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by BradH70, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    For the 12 month period ending 03/11/2013 5383 kWh

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Some states are running rebates concurrently with the Fed rebate on hybrid water heaters. For Maine at least its $600 off fed and state. I got a regular one because I wanted a 80 gallon one but if you were in the market for a 40 or 50 gallon one you could find hybrid ones for ~$500 after the rebates.
  3. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    I posted some of this before but here is an update. About 3 1/2 years ago I replaced the oil fired tank less
    DHW heater that was costing about $100/mo to run!!! with a 80 gal electric ( got it off CL for $50).
    I installed an hour meter to record the time the water heater on time. As of today the heater has run 925 hrs,
    in 43.3 months, comes out to $15/mo. To be fair I have a solar pre-heater that runs in the summer.

BTW when I first installed the water heater I used Teflon tape, I had to take it all apart:mad: and use the PTFE paste,
    I will never use tape again. I have a drain pan under the water heater that runs in to the sump pit, just in case.
    I added 3 1/2 FG insulation and covered it with reflective bubble insulation, looks like a silver bullet.
    Probably paid for itself in less 4 months.

View attachment 98209
    WH2.JPG

Attached Files:

4. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    So, this may be a little premature but I still decided to post the info.

I installed my electric DHW heater on March 22. I just received my first electric bill with the addition of the electric heater and the bill went up by about $35 from the previous month. This is much better then the close to $100/month it was costing in oil to heat the water.
    Redbarn and woodgeek like this.