DHW -- Oil vs Electric, getting closer to real numbers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys don't want to see the electric bill for my job.

The building I'm in is currently pulling 1800 amps @ 480V. We do that 24/7. _g

864Kw for 24 hours = 20,736 KwH every day

How many KwH do you pay for every month? >>

For the 12 month period ending 03/11/2013 5383 kWh

Some states are running rebates concurrently with the Fed rebate on hybrid water heaters. For Maine at least its $600 off fed and state. I got a regular one because I wanted a 80 gallon one but if you were in the market for a 40 or 50 gallon one you could find hybrid ones for ~$500 after the rebates.

I posted some of this before but here is an update. About 3 1/2 years ago I replaced the oil fired tank less
DHW heater that was costing about $100/mo to run!!! with a 80 gal electric ( got it off CL for $50).
I installed an hour meter to record the time the water heater on time. As of today the heater has run 925 hrs,
in 43.3 months, comes out to $15/mo. To be fair I have a solar pre-heater that runs in the summer.

BTW when I first installed the water heater I used Teflon tape, I had to take it all apart:mad: and use the PTFE paste,
I will never use tape again. I have a drain pan under the water heater that runs in to the sump pit, just in case.
I added 3 1/2 FG insulation and covered it with reflective bubble insulation, looks like a silver bullet.
Probably paid for itself in less 4 months.

View attachment 98209
WH2.JPG

Attachments

• PDR_0088.JPG
    PDR_0088.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 151
So, this may be a little premature but I still decided to post the info.

I installed my electric DHW heater on March 22. I just received my first electric bill with the addition of the electric heater and the bill went up by about $35 from the previous month. This is much better then the close to $100/month it was costing in oil to heat the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.