Did I do a bad thing?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambx

Jan 10, 2011
Southern Connecticut
OK guys – not sure if I want sympathy or a lecture.

As you can see from my number of posts I am a newbie - will be burning for the first time this winter with a new Fireview - amassed 7 Cords of Oak so far just trying to get ahead.

This past weekend Hurricane Irene left us here in CT with some good wood – this past Monday I hear a chipper at the neighbors so I stroll over and low and behold he has a tree on his house.

Talk to the tree guys – asked what they are doing with the wood – he says we are leaving it as is. Asked what it is – he says Black Cherry and stated its an excellent firewood. I then ask the neighbor and he says its mine if I want it. So I run home grab the tractor, trailer and saw and proceed to buck it up.

When I get home I research Black Cherry and read that many take the larger logs and cut them into slabs for wood working into tables etc not firewood. As you can imagine my heart sank when I looked at various pictures of large slabs then I pan to the bucked rounds in the trailer.

The base of this tree was 24 inches and the base log lengh was at least 10 feet. If I had to do it all over again I may have tried to roll it only my trailer and bring it to a mill.

Am I reading too much into this?...What would you guy have done.

2 Things....

1.) Cherry is a Great Firewood. seasons pretty quickly. Your Oak needs at least 2 FULL (24 Months) Years, but 3 years is Best....

2.) This really belongs in the Woodshed Forum. You will get more responses there.

Good luck with the Wood. Now that its bucked to length, you might as well Split it... get to work. and remember... Pics or it Never happened.

Forget the lumber - to hard to fit in the stove. You did the right thing bucking the stuff-up. ;)

Now let it season out and enjoy the burn.

Good luck,
Bill

Well, as another non-expert (at least as far as heating with wood) who happens to have an avid interest in woodworking, I'll say that while we (woodworkers) would love to have had the wood for woodworking's purposes, the fact that it is going to another admirable purpose is preferable to it getting chipped up or disposed of.

I say simply, "lesson learned and no harm happened" however to take the research you started and finish it fully, I'd call around and ask the specialty wood stores a simple "what if" to see if they would want that in the future if you should have such opportunity again. Additionally you may what to call around and ask these specialty wood stores if they're interested in the bucked black-cherry as "woodturners" would likely love to get their hands on that for turning bowls, figurines, pens, utensils, etc. If they would want it for turning they might even ask you to buck it shorter! Either way the wood you got there will still serve a pleasant purpose! Congrats.

It is possible that a mill wouldn't take a yard tree anyway. As long as that thing lived there are no telling how many saw blade wrecking pieces of metal hiding in it.

BrotherBart said:
It is possible that a mill wouldn't take a yard tree anyway. As long as that thing lived there are no telling how many saw blade wrecking pieces of metal hiding in it.
+1 and how often does firewood fall next to your house. makes easy work getting it home.

All firewood to me. I have burned Bird's eye Maple before.

Jambx said:
OK guys – not sure if I want sympathy or a lecture.

As you can see from my number of posts I am a newbie - will be burning for the first time this winter with a new Fireview - amassed 7 Cords of Oak so far just trying to get ahead.

This past weekend Hurricane Irene left us here in CT with some good wood – this past Monday I hear a chipper at the neighbors so I stroll over and low and behold he has a tree on his house.

Talk to the tree guys – asked what they are doing with the wood – he says we are leaving it as is. Asked what it is – he says Black Cherry and stated its an excellent firewood. I then ask the neighbor and he says its mine if I want it. So I run home grab the tractor, trailer and saw and proceed to buck it up.

When I get home I research Black Cherry and read that many take the larger logs and cut them into slabs for wood working into tables etc not firewood. As you can imagine my heart sank when I looked at various pictures of large slabs then I pan to the bucked rounds in the trailer.

The base of this tree was 24 inches and the base log lengh was at least 10 feet. If I had to do it all over again I may have tried to roll it only my trailer and bring it to a mill.

Am I reading too much into this?...What would you guy have done.

I'd have taken that cherry wood, and got it split right quick. Excellent firewood.

A lot of us has bucked and split wood that could have been made into a table or something else. Theres plenty of wood for everyone, burn it and enjoy the heat. Also as stated the oak wont burn that well until its seasoned 2+ years, maybe less in ideal seasoning conditions.

Most mills probably would not have taken that tree from you. Cherry can be worth a lot of money but I'm pretty sure the price is set after the log has been milled down and the quality can be determined, at which point you are nit involved anymore. So I'd say you did the right thing by making firewood out of it.

The mill might not have been interested in milling the tree for fear of nails and spikes.

All is not lost though with the lumber. How long are the bucked rounds? If you rive them into boards there is a great chance they would make awesome boxes and chests.

Matt

For me, that cherry is much more valuable on the woodpile than anywhere else.

I say let 'er season, feel good about it, and when there's 2 feet of snow on the ground then ask the same question :)

Surprised nobody's said anything about burning good wood in a fireplace. BTDT, like with long power outages. Mainly heats the Great Outdoors, poorly.
For your benefit, may I suggest that you investigate either a fireplace insert or a woodstove connected into the flue? You'll get waaaaay more heat into the house, and also generate a tiny fraction of the aromatic particulates (carcinogens.)
I too have burnt a cord or three of BC in my time. Fair heat value, smells great outdoors, leaves a lot of unburnt charcoal. Enjoy life- don't beat yourself up.

I was out cutting yesterday and came across some black walnut saved a couple 4ft x 8-10 dia. just because it might be possible for me to get a couple really nice rifle stocks from them. going to have some nice swirls and such if when I saw them they are decent inside.

I don't think you need either sympathy or a lecture. I think you need an 'attaboy' and go get more while the gettin's good! I would have cut that cherry into firewood. If you're not into cutting logs into lumber yourself, and you're not a lumberjack who knows how and where to sell trees and has a way to move a big log, I doubt it is worth your time to try to sell one log. It wasn't worth $1000s, maybe $100s but only in the right place and time. On top of the neighbors house = cut it up now and get it moved. I don't think Black Cherry is worth dramatically more than oak in log form.

I'd be out looking for more downed trees as much as you can. You might be able to get a couple of years ahead with your firewood in the next week or two, which will mean relaxed scrounging as a hobby instead of buying wood, plus nice, seasoned firewood that will burn great.

Hi all,

I so appreciate all of your responses. I was pretty upset initially but over time reality set in – I may have been able to get it on a trailer after a lot of fighting andby the time I go iit to a mill who may have taken it the return would may not have outweighed the effort. As one respondere said I could possibly take on of the bigger rounds and rive some of them into a project.

In the end I am comfortable with the fact I jumped on an opportunity that netted me close to a cord of Black Cherry where as I didn’t have to drive somewhere and hand load and drive back. I had this thing bucked and loaded (with pallet forks) in less than 90 minutes and it was a three minute tractor ride back home (with a smile). I do think next time I will be more carful as to what I cut and analyze its return but in this case with your comments I do feel much better.

Two last questions;

1) Why do I see some say BC is a very good fire wood and other say fair?

2) I totally understand the 3 year drying times for Oak but doesn’t it really depend on the environment and split size?....Why I ask is I split ~7 cord of Oak in March of this year with my splits being on the small size (~3 inches / side x 16 inches). I did this since I was told by Woodstock the Fireview works best with the smaller splits. Just recently I took a Moisture Meter to these splits and I am getting readings of 9 – 12%. I realize the meter is a Lowes special but I don’t think it’s too far off as I can see these really have weathered well and when I hit them together they make somewhat of a “crack†sound. How much longer do you think I have to wait?..

Best,

~jim

Jambx said:
Hi all,

I so appreciate all of your responses. I was pretty upset initially but over time reality set in – I may have been able to get it on a trailer after a lot of fighting andby the time I go iit to a mill who may have taken it the return would may not have outweighed the effort. As one respondere said I could possibly take on of the bigger rounds and rive some of them into a project.

In the end I am comfortable with the fact I jumped on an opportunity that netted me close to a cord of Black Cherry where as I didn’t have to drive somewhere and hand load and drive back. I had this thing bucked and loaded (with pallet forks) in less than 90 minutes and it was a three minute tractor ride back home (with a smile). I do think next time I will be more carful as to what I cut and analyze its return but in this case with your comments I do feel much better.

Two last questions;

2) I totally understand the 3 year drying times for Oak but doesn’t it really depend on the environment and split size?....Why I ask is I split ~7 cord of Oak in March of this year with my splits being on the small size (~3 inches / side x 16 inches). I did this since I was told by Woodstock the Fireview works best with the smaller splits. Just recently I took a Moisture Meter to these splits and I am getting readings of 9 – 12%. I realize the meter is a Lowes special but I don’t think it’s too far off as I can see these really have weathered well and when I hit them together they make somewhat of a “crack†sound. How much longer do you think I have to wait?..

Best,

~jim

Jim - You've come to the right place. Love Hearth.com.

You are going to get a lot of responses to this issue. Bottom line, you have to resplit those splits and take a reading in the middle of the fresh split, don't do it on the ends or the split side that's been exposed. You will be shocked how high the moisture is on the inside.

You will struggle the first year but already have a great start on years 2, 3 and beyond. Maybe find some more quick drying wood like the BC, ash is another that could help. Some guys use pallets to get started. But unless you can buy/find split, seasoned wood, that oak is going to give you trouble all year.

Get the cherry split now and stacked loosely off the ground and you can burn it the second half of the coming winter.

No way the oak will be ready and unseasoned oak produces a lot of creosote and very little heat.

Many homeowners around here save the wood from tree work in their yards, then never burn it.

You may find some very well seasoned stacks that you can buy cheap if you keep your eyes peeled.

blades said:
I was out cutting yesterday and came across some black walnut saved a couple 4ft x 8-10 dia. just because it might be possible for me to get a couple really nice rifle stocks from them. going to have some nice swirls and such if when I saw them they are decent inside.

I just looked into this and it is BIG money to get that kind of work done. I checked a few places and was told $1,500+ and in my case I still had to buy the stock.

Black cherry is near the middle of the range of hardwood density, which means middle of the range of potential BTUs per cord. That might make some people say it is only fair, while oak and locust are good and aspen would be poor, I guess. On the other hand, cherry seasons faster than a lot of the more dense woods so other people would rate it great. My opinion is that cherry is a good firewood, as are most trees. Cherry won't give the very long overnight burns that oak will, but otherwise you'll love it.

Yes, the size of the split and the location and style of stacking have a big influence on how fast wood dries. Air movement is very important, and a sunny, windy place will dry your firewood a lot faster than a shady, still place. Wood on the top of your stack will probably season faster than wood near the bottom. Before you come to the conclusion that your oak is fully seasoned, re-split a piece or two and test the inside. The outer wood probably is a lot drier than the wood inside.

If you end up burning oak that isn't fully seasoned it won't be the end of the world, just won't be quite as efficient and easy to burn as fully seasoned oak would be.

Jambx said:
Hi all,

Two last questions;

Best,

~jim

Jim, I don't remember if you've been welcomed to this forum or not but consider this a Welcome.

Question 1. There is always a difference of opinions on where a certain wood rates. If someone has always burned oak or something similar, then cherry would rank low in their estimation. If someone burned mainly cottonwood, they'd dearly love to get their hands on some cherry. In my opinion, cherry makes a good firewood that ranks just a bit lower than the best. Do not put too much into the ratings though. Generally, they will both give off the same amount of heat but the oak will last longer and give a better bed of coals. I still like to burn cherry and never hesitate. We've even used it for many night fires.

Question 2. It can depend upon environment if one is comparing, say the Pacific NW compared to maybe Kansas or Iowa. Or even New England compared to the midwest. Still, oak gives up its moisture extremely reluctantly and simply needs time and lots of time. Do not count time until it has been split and stacked. Some burn it after 2 years but we usually wait 3 years. Even with your small size splits, you might get by in 2 years but it still needs that time. Anything less and you are asking for problems. And there is no way I would buy that those splits are 9-12%. So, 2 years minimum is what I recommend. Three years would be ideal.

Much thanks to the welcome - its my first!

I totally understand the 3 year wait and somewhat prepared for that - sadly I need to find some really good dry wood to get me by the first year - I am a little afraid that will be hard but the search is on!

My first order of buisness however is to get the cherry split and man'o'man I got quite a bit!

~jim

Jambx said:
Much thanks to the welcome - its my first!

I totally understand the 3 year wait and somewhat prepared for that - sadly I need to find some really good dry wood to get me by the first year - I am a little afraid that will be hard but the search is on!

My first order of buisness however is to get the cherry split and man'o'man I got quite a bit!

~jim

Jim search craigslist, I see ads in CT all the time for free wood or cheap wood either from someone that switched to pellets or bought a house with leftover wood that they dont want to burn, theres all kinds of reason why people get rid of wood, take a look.
If you can find some ash/maple maybe birch that will dry a lot quicker than oak and may be ready to burn, or look for someone selling seasoned, just make sure they define what they mean and it wasnt sitting in log form for a year and split last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.