Did I finally find it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Had a tree guy out to my place a few weeks ago. Short story he told me I can come to the yard and grab wood whenever. Only 10 minutes from my house in the city which is amazing. Been there 3 times so far (with a couple of cases of beer...)
I've been looking for this for 15 years, hope it lasts!
IMG_20240112_112912.jpgIMG_20240131_142652.jpg

Congrats, must feel pretty good.

That's perfect. Great wood, great access with your truck, can make a woodchip mess and not worry about it and the price is right. What more could you want.

The wood in the red truck is definitely maple. Nice find! Id love to know how big that give butt log is in the first picture... that's a monster.

Oak and maple in the truck.

Oak and maple in the truck.

The wood in the red truck is definitely maple. Nice find! Id love to know how big that give butt log is in the first picture... that's a monster.
Mostly red oak, some split like maple. A couple might be ash. That big tree is maybe 6'diameter

Reactions: all night moe
Good stuff. Get it while you can.
Yea.... you're not kidding. My buddy tells me this morning to stop at the municipality building he works at. They just brought in some take downs yesterday. BL, hard maple, ash ..... silver maple. Said If I had known I would've brought my saw to work with me and stopped on the way back. Says there's a bunch of limb wood too. Stopped there on my way home. Nothing but 2 large silver logs left and some rotten crotches.

Was hoping to post some work done...😠

Until you know this is a long term thing, without tearing the piles down, go for the good stuff.

Until you know this is a long term thing, without tearing the piles down, go for the good stuff.
I did go down there for a third round and there was another dude there. Nice guy, but we were both very obviously disappointed that the other was there though :)
I already have 1+ year of wood, and I only have room for another maybe ½ cord...

I did go down there for a third round and there was another dude there. Nice guy, but we were both very obviously disappointed that the other was there though :)
I already have 1+ year of wood, and I only have room for another maybe ½ cord...
Ha, i've had the same experience at my municipal site a few blocks away. But at ours you got to get it right away, so it's fine for more than one person to be getting the wood. It's not technically permitted, or not permitted, to take the wood, but we do it after hours and no one says anything. The wood also gets carted away in either the next day or 2 so there is almost always way more wood than people can grab in that short window. Mostly though it's just me trying to load up the CRV.

Reactions: all night moe