Did I go overboard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Just finished a new woodshed that holds a little over 2 cords. Wood was 99% local sawmill lumber and stuff I had laying around, so I didn’t end up falling victim to the crazy lumber pricing that’s going on.

I’m getting tired of listening to sticks and acorns hitting the tin on my barn and chicken coop so im trying a new roof system.

Did I go overboard? Did I go overboard? Did I go overboard?

Very nice. I’m jealous.

That is the coolest wood shed I have seen! Not sure what you do for a living, but you may have been a carpenter in a previous life ;)

Rob, you done good! Just a few things. Your sitting on blocks. They sell metal post ends that keep the post elevated. Stops the rot. I would tie it down. Wind can roll it. A few straps to rebar stakes. If your getting to much wind blown rain in I've used mesh tarp. It great for keeping the snow out.

Reactions: andym
That's a work of art. Hope when I go to Japan next year I see another one.

Show off==c

nice work, that looks awesome.

How did you make the curved crucks?

Fill it up with wood before it becomes airborne

Thank you all for the kind words!

Those are indeed cedar shingles, I live near the coast were every other house has them for either roof or siding so it’s easy to find them. They are nailed to 1x2 batons (no ply wood decking). The curve in the roof was made by sectioning 2x4 into long thin pie slices and reconfiguring into a curved piece, then screwed/ construction adhesive + lots of bracingI’ll take a close up pic at some point.

Thanks for advice on the metal footings, I can easily jack it up with a bottle jack and mess with the footings. I set it on blocks so I could argue it’s just a “wood rack” with a nice roof

the footings are PT lumber so it should take a while to get rot

I will have it full to the brim with 2.5 cords of red oak in a couple of days I feel like having a 5x10 foot print it would take a lot to blow it over? I feel like shingles would start to blow off first. What do you guys think?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes, very nice. I like the shingles and curved roof design.

On a side note, as of Jan1, even free retardant treated wood shingles are no longer allowed for new rooves in California. As my neighborhood finishes its slow conversion to synthetic, you realize the hard way how many attic spots of houses depend upon the ventilation provided by wood shingles.

On a side note, as of Jan1, even free retardant treated wood shingles are no longer allowed for new rooves in California. As my neighborhood finishes its slow conversion to synthetic, you realize the hard way how many attic spots of houses depend upon the ventilation provided by wood shingles.

I figured lots of breathing would be good for seasoning the cord wood.

If I were in a fire zone like you I’d consider metal or if I were really getting fancy slate

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thank you all for the kind words!

Those are indeed cedar shingles, I live near the coast were every other house has them for either roof or siding so it’s easy to find them. They are nailed to 1x2 batons (no ply wood decking). The curve in the roof was made by sectioning 2x4 into long thin pie slices and reconfiguring into a curved piece, then screwed/ construction adhesive + lots of bracingI’ll take a close up pic at some point.

Thanks for advice on the metal footings, I can easily jack it up with a bottle jack and mess with the footings. I set it on blocks so I could argue it’s just a “wood rack” with a nice roof

the footings are PT lumber so it should take a while to get rot

I will have it full to the brim with 2.5 cords of red oak in a couple of days I feel like having a 5x10 foot print it would take a lot to blow it over? I feel like shingles would start to blow off first. What do you guys think?
You will be fine, even without having wood in it. I did the same setup with the shingles for a loafing shed for my alpacas. I just ran premade strapping across the rafters every six inches. Normal exposure is 5", but I wanted to save a bit of money.

Reactions: Rob_Red