Did Surdiac make a Coal/Wood model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticpiping

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Maine,USA
www.gouette.com
A friend is offering me a "Surdiac Coal/Woodstove"
Capable of burning either, he says.
However, I cannot find online anywhere, a model that was made do do both..?

It apparently is the model that has that Chiniese Pagoda-looking top to it(top feed style)
But, he says it does not have the fancy shmancy raised-decorative thingies on both sides that you often see..as in this one:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/76e36f792238be8ea766bc1e790a513c

Any ideas what model he might be talking about?
I'm wanting to replace my Regency insert with a free-standing stove...

Cheers!
Rich

OK, here's the basic deal....

If it has top loading, it is a coal stove - it cannot burn wood in any way, shape of form.

If it has two front doors, it is a wood model, the Le Marquis.

Near the end, Jotul brought out an updated coal unit which claimed to burn wood...but it really didn't.

So, unless you want to burn pea sized anthracite, do not accept the top loading stoves. The front loading (two small doors) wood model was very decent, and although clean burn standards were not in force, this was an advanced model for the time.

If it does not have the fancy things, it might be that "latest" model from Jotul - I think it might have been called the 715 or 515 (guess)...

There will be a tag on the rear specifying the model - if you can get that, then more info would be available. But, again, if wood is your goal the answer will probably be the same - don't go for it.

Hi All - this is my first post - we have a Surdiac 715/515. I am trying to figure out how to find the BTU range for this stove so when we want to upgrade to a more powerful stove, we have some idea of what to look for. Do you have a link or some stats on this stove?

bump, just bumping this up the queue, I am not sure where else to look for an old manual on our surdiac 715/515, it was probably built back in 1985, so it's 23 years old, where do I go to get a manual or find out the specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.