Did WD40 ruin my prefab fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireplaceNeedHelp

Jun 27, 2023
Washington
I would love some help. Last winter I moved to a new condo. The lever to open/close the damper was stuck and I was told to spray some WD40. I did and problem got solved. But I might have sprayed a bit too much as since then every time I put a fire on it smells toxic after like 20 mins. Issue is: I put on some 20 fires and the smell is still there! Does it ever burn off or did I ruin my prefab fireplace permanently? I tried sime grease remover but nothing happenef. Would appreciate so much some help.

I would love some help. Last winter I moved to a new condo. The lever to open/close the damper was stuck and I was told to spray some WD40. I did and problem got solved. But I might have sprayed a bit too much as since then every time I put a fire on it smells toxic after like 20 mins. Issue is: I put on some 20 fires and the smell is still there! Does it ever burn off or did I ruin my prefab fireplace permanently? I tried sime grease remover but nothing happenef. Would appreciate so much some help.
The wd40 should be long gone by now. And it really doesn't smell all that toxic when heated. I would have the whole system inspected for other causes

Thing is, you never had a fire in it before you sprayed the WD40 to positively say that is the issue. Did you have a certified inspection done on the chimney system before you moved in? If it is new you would think it should be done offgassing after 20 fires, I suspect something else is going on here and it doesn't smell good.