Did you remove a slammer? If so, say aye.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
My first thread...

If I had a $ for every person on here with a story of upgrading or swapping out a 'slammer' in the house they bought....well I think I could buy a new stove.

Slammer==a fireplace insert with no vent pipe, or for the purposes of argument, a short length of stovepipe without any sort of hard block-off plate. My slammer had a 6" length of 8" pipe! Really. I guess they wanted the vent to be higher than the lintel.

So, if you had a slammer, and now you've upgraded it, let's us know it. I'm curious to know if what you read on here was part of your process/decision.

Yep, 1981 cemi slammer. New stove is well worth it. No, hearth.com saddly was not the driving force, I found them after when I was looking for more info. Bookmark it, a lot of good people and information are here!

With the help of BeGreen, I am working on a couple articles about planning and installing an insert....with a little diagram of a "slammer" - but I called the "slip-in".

Remember that this was 100% legal at one time.......but it was not long before we discovered they didn't draft well and started using a block off plate and short length of pipe.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/install_insert

I replaced my 21 year old slammer a couple of years ago. Based on it running away on me twice after I installed a liner. In the process I discovered a busted weld in the firebox that was letting in a lot of air and the insert came out of that fireplace the next day and was replaced with an EPA stove.

When we moved into the house 16 yrs ago there was a Majestic insert slammed into the fireplace with a deteriorating brick chimney, no clay tile liner. I lined the chimney with rigid stainless first thing and direct connected the stove. It was still a crappy heater, I had to rig my own blower system. But at least it was safe(r) for the 4 years we used it. Finally, in 2000 I replaced it with a Quad 1200i pellet insert, which was a really big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.