Diesel wood shelter not so diesel!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Today while loading wood into the shelter I noticed a creaking sound as I was about to move my wood cart.. I saw the floor joist sinking under the oak I loaded yesterday! I thought quickly and as luck would have it I had a rogue 4"x4" laying nearby. I promptly placed it under the floor joist and added a scrap piece of 2x8" to support the hanger that was failing.. Bear in mind I was not even working in this area today! I feel God was looking over me and I was able to avert a disaster! I could have been badly hurt or worse if this collapsed.. Amazingly I had two pieces of 8"x8" laying nearby and I drove those under the failing joist hangers.. As luck would have it I had 2 of these large PT timbers laying nearby and they fit perfectly and I promptly supported all the floor joists across the back of my shelter..This could have been a very bad situation.. Now the back of the shelter is beefed up by the large timbers and my mind is at ease.. I guess 20 yrs. to the weather had done some damage to my old deck which is the floor to my shelter.. Bottom line DO NOT RELY ON JOIST HANGERS TO SUPPORT VERY HEAVY LOADS!!! To those who load wood on a deck or similar be careful! I have this wood stacked 6-7' high so my weight per square foot is very high (it's 99% oak)...

Ray

'
'

A strong floor/deck is built for what? 60 lbs/ft? that's a stack about 2' high.

btuser said:
A strong floor/deck is built for what? 60 lbs/ft? that's a stack about 2' high.

I have no idea I am not a carpenter... Bear in mind this deck saw the weather for 20 yrs... Been up for a year as of October 09..

Ray

Hey Ray, just think of the wear and tear you put on your body over 20 years....and you don't live out in the weather full time either! Glad you are okay.

what's diesel have to do with it? i stopped in here to read something about an engine powered wood shelter.....i want my money back.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Ray, just think of the wear and tear you put on your body over 20 years....and you don't live out in the weather full time either! Glad you are okay.

Thanx Dennis I consider myself lucky that it happened as I was standing there and was able to control the situation..

Ray

Danno77 said:
what's diesel have to do with it? i stopped in here to read something about an engine powered wood shelter.....i want my money back.

LOL Dan my woodguy said my woodshed was diesel so that is where that came from.. Apparently he was impressed and never saw anything like it before..

Ray

raybonz said:
Today while loading wood into the shelter I noticed a creaking sound as I was about to move my wood cart.. I saw the floor joist sinking under the oak I loaded yesterday! I thought quickly and as luck would have it I had a rogue 4"x4" laying nearby. I promptly placed it under the floor joist and added a scrap piece of 2x8" to support the hanger that was failing.. Bear in mind I was not even working in this area today! I feel God was looking over me and I was able to avert a disaster! I could have been badly hurt or worse if this collapsed.. Amazingly I had two pieces of 8"x8" laying nearby and I drove those under the failing joist hangers.. As luck would have it I had 2 of these large PT timbers laying nearby and they fit perfectly and I promptly supported all the floor joists across the back of my shelter..This could have been a very bad situation.. Now the back of the shelter is beefed up by the large timbers and my mind is at ease.. I guess 20 yrs. to the weather had done some damage to my old deck which is the floor to my shelter.. Bottom line DO NOT RELY ON JOIST HANGERS TO SUPPORT VERY HEAVY LOADS!!! To those who load wood on a deck or similar be careful! I have this wood stacked 6-7' high so my weight per square foot is very high (it's 99% oak)...

Ray
'
I'm sure having a lot of trouble visualizing what you are talking about, but the one point that you emphasized about not relying on joist hangers for heavy loads doesn't make sense. Please post a picture of a this "failed joist hanger".
My bet is that the "wood" around the joist hanger rotted or twisted, or the hanger simply wasn't installed correctly, and that is why it failed.

I'm still a little confused as to what a "diesel" woodshed is . . . are diesel woodsheds better than gasoline woodsheds? Maybe this is a local thing . . . kind of like saying something is "wicked good" here in Maine means it is very good . . . as in My Jotul is a wicked good woodstove.

firefighterjake said:
I'm still a little confused as to what a "diesel" woodshed is . . . are diesel woodsheds better than gasoline woodsheds? Maybe this is a local thing . . . kind of like saying something is "wicked good" here in Maine means it is very good . . . as in My Jotul is a wicked good woodstove.

Ok, look, here's the deal....

for you old guys/gals like me, "groovy" would be the word, kind of....

a bit later it may have been "cool"

then it was "rad"

and for you redneck grease monkey's out there it's "diesel" :)

....but I also think the word "diesel" is meant to describe "heavy duty" to some too.

ansehnlich1 said:
firefighterjake said:

then it was "rad"

....but I also think the word "diesel" is meant to describe "heavy duty" to some too.

Oh, I see . . . I'm hip with that . . . I'm down with it . . . I get what you're saying now . . . and yeah, I thought the woodshed in the pic was pretty Woodstock (please note: this is my attempt to create a new slang term) . . . Now if you don't mind, I'm going to leave here soon and get Jotuled. ;)

Diesel, in this context, means bad@$$, large, or strong.

In other contexts it can mean muscular as in "that dude is diesel" or is a slang term for Budweiser as in "I was drinking diesel last night". There are probably others.

word

Carbon_Liberator said:
raybonz said:

Ray
'
I'm sure having a lot of trouble visualizing what you are talking about, but the one point that you emphasized about not relying on joist hangers for heavy loads doesn't make sense. Please post a picture of a this "failed joist hanger".
My bet is that the "wood" around the joist hanger rotted or twisted, or the hanger simply wasn't installed correctly, and that is why it failed.

Picture not possible but i will say I had about 2 tons in a 6'x6' area and one end was supported by a joist hanger.. All I know is the hanger was slowly dropping under the load and from the sound of it the nails were pulling out.. Now there is an 8"x8" under the joists on this end, the other end is supported by a girder.. That's a hell of a lot of weight in a 6'x6' area....

Ray

firefighterjake said:

My guess would be heavy duty.. He is a young guy and apparently this new slang meaning bad ass etc.

Ray

ansehnlich1 said:
firefighterjake said:

then it was "rad"

Let's not forget psychedelic.. My dad used to hate it when I used that word!

Ray

savageactor7 said:
Good save ray.

Thanx Savage.. Live and learn is my motto...

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.