1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

digging out the woodpile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Rich L, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    For some reason digging out the woodpile gave me more energy than doing the walk and digging out my car.What about you ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    I will let you know when I dig out my storage building that has my dry wood in it, maybe tomorrow, got to tired today to do it but I have wood on covered entry way so I don;t have to worry for a bit.
  3. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Last big snow my area had was 23 inches. I didn't mind blowing out the driveway and the mound of snow at the end of it, but digging out the wood pile absolutely wore me out.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Had to dig out the woodpile four times in one week in 2010. That and the generator shed. That is the reason for the four cord woodshed and genny shack that now reside right outside of the back entrance to the breezeway.
  5. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    I guess you folks in Virginia missed what we just got.I was digging through 3 foot snows with 5 foot drifts.That wood pile kept calling me.If i delayed and that snow froze I'd need a jack hammer to get through it
    lopiliberty likes this.
  6. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. We dodged this bullet. Just got high winds and cold.

February 2010 was enough to last me a lifetime. Path to the generator. Seven days without power. Finally able to get out to the road with two gallons of genny gas left.

the big one the path to the generator.JPG
    Blue2ndaries likes this.
  7. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Uncovered the firewood this morning and brought in 3 wheelbarrow loads.

This is the last @#$%Y&! winter I cover wood that I plan to burn this year under tarps. If I ever talk of doing it again, please [​IMG]

Built that damn holz hausen a few years ago and this winter was time to burn it. Since it's been years since I had to mess with a snow covered tarp, I kinda forgot how big a pain in the rear it is I suppose, because I talked myself into covering it and getting my wood from the holz hausen directly rather than moving it under the deck/woodshed <> Stupid, Stupid, Stupid,

Speaking of wood sheds, I'm moving this thread over there.

pen
  8. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Stack my wood on the back porch that has a deck over top and a tarp over the deck. No digging wood out here. I walk out the back door a couple steps to the pile, grab splits, walk back in to insert. Works great fro me.
    Rich L likes this.
  9. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    Wow Bart us folks up here would never think Virginia could look like that.It makes you think that maybe the states are slowly turning into the north pole.
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    During that storm I was still keeping my stacks at the edge of the yard and bringing in wood into the basement and then bringing it upstairs. Below is a pic of my wood stacks during that storm. I had to dig out to them four times that week. And that is rubber roofing on top of them and naturally the roofing that had covered the used up cord in front was draped on the ground and covered with snow. :mad: That is the deck rail in the foreground.

I swore "Never again.".

The big one the wood stacks.JPG
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Lots of powder . . . blown around a lot . . . even ended up with a fair amount inside my woodshed . . . pretty unusual.
  12. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Got 30 inches plus out here. Wife made sure enough wood in the house for 2 days. Also keep a 7-10 day supply on the front porch which was weather protected. Now that the cars and driveway are cleared tomorrow will blaze a path to the mother wood pile!
  13. Beardog

Beardog Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    28 inches of snow with 4 foot drifts. Week of wood in the basement and another 3 weeks under the deck. Plans to build a shed this spring/summer for lawn equipment and wood. Will make for easier winters (less moving of wood) and a cleaner garage
    ScotO likes this.
  14. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Brought a couple weeks worth in before the storm. Spent too much time yesterday just trying to get the driveway cleared. I will get to the wood pile later because today is tree tapping day! More fires to play with just around the corner!
  15. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I brought all my wood inside in October. :)
  16. katwillny

katwillny Guest

I brought in about 2 weeks worth of wood into the house just so i didnt have to dig out. Hopefully most of it will be melted by then. We are expecting some rain later this week so hopefully that will help with the melt.
  17. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    How much gas did you have on had when the power went off? I try to keep a fair amount for the gen just in case, but it is a pain trying to keep it fresh. Just curious. The last really bad storm we had, I did without a generator. Just my wood stove for heat.
  18. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I only had fifteen gallons that time. Now I keep twenty to twenty five gallons. I fill'em up in late October. Then start burning it off in the lawn mower, saws and truck in early summer. I had just used it all up last June when I got a funny feeling and went and got ten gallons. Lost power for three days in the hottest part of July the next week and kept the A/C units, three fridges and the other stuff running on it.
    tfdchief likes this.
  19. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I brought a weeks worth in the day before the storm, didnt think we'd get as buried as we did, ended up with 29" here and huge drifts. I did snow blow a path to the pile so I can get at the wood but still have to deal with snow on the tarps, last year for tarps for me too, Im building solid roof sheleters for at least 4 cords this spring.
    Anyone hear from Raybonz? His area got hit the hardest with high winds and power outages.
  20. mhvond

mhvond Member

Loc:
    SW CT
    I am able to stack about a cord and a half under my deck. Even so the wind blew quite a bit of snow up ender there...maybe a foot or so. Enough so the wife complained about getting the wood in her slippers! :)