digital probe thermo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graycatman

Mar 7, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I installed the Auber Ins stovepipe thermo kit a few days ago. I have a free-standing PE
Summit,with a 30' stack, about 1/2Selkirk DSP, 1/2 Metalbestos. I have the DSP stovepipe adapter/key damper on the stove. I got the 4" probe with 16' cable.The console has an alarm built in,so I didn't get an extra external alarm. I installed it 18"above the stovetop. I also have a Condar mechanical probe installed 16" above the stovetop.

I am happy with the DP. Easy to install,easy to use. Interesting to compare the DP vs. the MP. On Start-up and reloads, they might as well be on different stoves. The DP shows me at 750 before the MP gets to the safe zone of ~ 400. During the course of a burn, the MP generally reads 125-150 lower than the DP, unless I have it up around 800 for an hour, where the MP might get within 100 lower. The DSP is rated to 1200 continuous, so I wasn't burning dangerously hot, just much hotter than I thought.

The DP is great for fine-tuning a burn, and knowing in real time what's going on. I will not get my stovetop hotter than my flue (raging secondaries, air off, damper fully closed, blower on, DP a little above 800, stovetop a little less than 600), but with a 30' stack that's just the way it is for me.

I don't mean to suggest that all MP's read low, and I have no way of testing whether the DP is accurate to +/- 5 as the company claims. Just letting you know my experience.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.