digital thermometer for DHW tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveM195352

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Belgrade, Maine
need your help...

I have an Vaughn Top Performer Indirect DHW tank (oil fired - soon to be Solar pre-heated)... Have a need and desire to monitor the temp in the tank. A remote mounted digital readout would be perfect. The control on the tank itself is Vaughn's TPI

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Dave from Maine

Deerefanatic- could you post your control layout, or point me back to it if you already have?

I've been immersed (pun intended) in all the different ways to arrive at a simple but efficient configuration of the plumbing, but once I get that resolved (and I am getting closer) I'll need to develop control topology to actually make the different parts of the system "get along" when I am not home....

I use a digital roast termometer.Its a non wire thing and cost noting.
But thats maby not what you asking for

Attachments

• DSCN2833.jpg
    DSCN2833.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 382
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 356
I'd love to post my control layout, but as of yet, I haven't really figured it out.... Each pump has an Auto/Off/Manual ON switch; which is how I'm operating them at this point.........

But, at some point I'll have to get down to business on that! :)

Deerefanatic- since you've gone forward with getting some of the PLC/PID controllers, I'm definitely interested in learning what you anticipate doing with them- I'm familiar with them in concept but not yet familiar enough to start thinking of how I will deploy them in the control layout. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know of an introductory "PLC design and application for dummies" reference?

DaveM- do a search on here for "Azel" and you'll find some references to a dual-readout digital thermometer, intended for hydronic use, that seems to get very good feedback

Well, the PID units I have have two "alarm" outputs which are relay contacts that close/open when temperature goes higher/lower than a prescribed temperature. These two outputs are independently configurable.

As for the process control output (which is what these units are really designed to do); I have no plans for it.

Those look pretty nice, a little more pricey, but nice.......

One thing I liked about the PID's is that they can measure VERY hi temperatures.... so I can also use them for monitoring exhaust temps of my stove and have all the gauges panel mounted... Looks like an industrial control panel! :)

BUT, I will inject, the thermocouples that come with those PID's I bought are basically only good for strapping onto a pipe to measure temperature... (The probe is barely an inch long) and the leads are only 3 feet..... Being that they are thermocouples, you HAVE to use thermocouple extension harness to extend them... Having those made by a reputable thermocouple manufacturer (Dwyer Instrument) cost me as much as the controller did..... Although, sometimes you'll find big spools of thermocouple wire for cheap on eBay and can make your own... (I should have done this in retrospect....)

Status
Not open for further replies.