dimensional lumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
I hear this is the forum for milled lumber advice

Im looking for a 4x4x13 or something similiar. Im trying to build a bat box like one here http://www.batsnorthwest.org/rocketbox_plans.pdf. It calls for a big ol 4x4 but untreated. I dont want to use pine, would rather use oak or locust.

I dont Mill lumber, and dont know any one who does. The big box doesnt sell them, and if they did it would be really expensive.

Any suggestions on how I can find some one who does mill lumber, or since I need a rough piece of wood any way, should I give it a shot free hand? *since orig post I have decided I like all of my fingers and free hand isnt an option*

I live in eastren NC if that helps any one. (or will be in west MD this weekend if any one up that way can help me out )

Ask around & check phonebook for anyone who runs a sawmill in your immediate area.There should be at least one who cuts rough native lumber like you're looking for.White Oak & Black Locust grows in your locale,shouldnt be too hard to find some.
Your dimensions arent too big,makes it simple to do it yourself..Its pretty easy to rough out a block or short post/beam with freehand cuts. Find the log you want,a few inches longer than finished length- take a straight edge & a sharpie,draw a line on the end grain.Lay it on the ground,sight down the length,make a rip cut,holding feet steady & saw just outside your mark.

In the pic below I needed a short 3.5 x 6 white oak block recently.You can see the black lines on the log I drew,just below the saw.Less than 2 minutes to cut both sides.Trued up the other 2 with bandsaw fence.With practice,its easy to stay within 1/8" of any line you make.

Attachments

• whiteoakrounds.jpg
    whiteoakrounds.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 196
  • whiteoakblock.jpg
    whiteoakblock.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.