Dinner will be good today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
branchburner said:
Dennis, why don't you try baking those biscuits on the stove? You may need something like these to make it work for the Fireview: http://store.woodstove.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16661&cat=298&page=1
That would make the soapstone flush with the cast iron frame, or you could arrange some other type of spacer. Then you could try this for fun (as I wrote in the other cooking thread):

Get a cheap Hefty aluminum turkey roasting pan with the wire handles and bend the handles back to reverse them so you can lift the pan when upside down. Put your baking pan of biscuits on the stove, elevated about 1/2” on a wire rack (or put the biscuits directly on a soapstone baking slab, as I did). Place the inverted turkey pan over the biscuits, making sure the edges of the pan are not elevated and allowing air to enter the "oven". I added a layer of heavy duty foil over the pan to create an insulating air space. The biscuits baked perfectly in the normal time.

Branchburner, we saw this about the turkey roaster in another thread and intend to do it. But I have to ask at what stove top temperature did you have for baking the biscuits?

On the soapstone slabs, they will work but effectively lower the stove top temperature. We already have the boot driers and glove driers so simply use those. We have two pair of each.

btw, have you ever made bannock?

RenovationGeorge said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Yesterday afternoon my wife decides it is time for bean soup. After all, it is hunting season.... Happens every year it seems.

Anyway, the bean soup was put on top of the Fireview and was just now removed because we don't want it cooked any longer. My wife did from time to time stir the bean soup and a few times it was boiling. I had a difficult time going to sleep last night because the smell of bean soup made me hungry!

I just wanted to let you folks know about the cooking on stove top. This is just one of many things my wife cooks on the heating stove. Life is good.

Hi Charlie,

I enjoyed your post--sounds delicious!

Though I can't resist commenting that tonight it may be your wife who is has trouble sleeping because of the smell (and sound) of beans. :)

Keep enjoying those simple pleasures--they're the best!

Hey George. Charlie is my son. My father was George. ;-)

And yes, it was delicious.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Yesterday afternoon my wife decides it is time for bean soup. After all, it is hunting season.... Happens every year it seems.

Anyway, the bean soup was put on top of the Fireview and was just now removed because we don't want it cooked any longer. My wife did from time to time stir the bean soup and a few times it was boiling. I had a difficult time going to sleep last night because the smell of bean soup made me hungry!

I just wanted to let you folks know about the cooking on stove top. This is just one of many things my wife cooks on the heating stove. Life is good.

Never tried cooking on the Liberty yet but I can smell your bean soup. :coolsmile:

zap

We're still smelling them Zap.

bboulier said:
I am stocked up with grills - Weber 18.5", Weber bullet, and a Weber gas grill. (Do you find a theme here?) I like to grill/barbecue. My ideal goal for an inside stove would be maximum heat per cubic foot of wood. Looks would not matter. Stoves that would permit cooking (a plus in an emergency) would surely be more efficient than inserts.

Slightly off topic, but yes, I have Weber Q 320 and it works very well especially when you want a grill mark on your steak. :)

Cheers.....Som

Sounds pretty good on a cold day.

Backwoods Savage said:
RenovationGeorge said:
Hi Charlie,

I enjoyed your post--sounds delicious!

Though I can't resist commenting that tonight it may be your wife who is has trouble sleeping because of the smell (and sound) of beans. :)

Keep enjoying those simple pleasures--they're the best!

Hey George. Charlie is my son. My father was George. ;-)

And yes, it was delicious.

Oops, thanks! I dunno where I got "Charlie"--another brain f**t, no beans involved. %-P

MMMM bean soup. Thats it, Im coming over. Ill bring some cold ones and a few Dominican cigars.

Backwoods Savage said:
Branchburner, we saw this about the turkey roaster in another thread and intend to do it. But I have to ask at what stove top temperature did you have for baking the biscuits?

On the soapstone slabs, they will work but effectively lower the stove top temperature. We already have the boot driers and glove driers so simply use those. We have two pair of each.

btw, have you ever made bannock?

No bannock, but now I'm intrigued - I'll have to give it a go.

I think the stove was around 450-500. I put the biscuits directly on soapstane, which was on the cast iron top of my stove. I think you actually want to effectively lower the stove top temperature or they will burn on the bottom. The other way would be to cook on a baking sheet, rather than stone, but elevate it on a wire rack. I bet you could just make a tent out of foil and get it to work. It's all trial and error at this point, but the even the errors have tasted really good so far!

Dennis, a brief update: I made scones this morning. One batch right on the soapstone (12 min, bottoms dark but not burnt), and one batch on a tray 1/2" up (18 min, lighter bottoms). Both batches were light and tasty.

I put on oven thermometer under my foil tent and noticed when the soapstone was at 550F, the "oven" was around 375F. With soapstone at 450F a while later, the "oven" was around 300F. The soapstone may help stabilize temps for longer baking because it should hold and radiate a more even heat than my cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.