Dinner will be good today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Yesterday afternoon my wife decides it is time for bean soup. After all, it is hunting season.... Happens every year it seems.

Anyway, the bean soup was put on top of the Fireview and was just now removed because we don't want it cooked any longer. My wife did from time to time stir the bean soup and a few times it was boiling. I had a difficult time going to sleep last night because the smell of bean soup made me hungry!

I just wanted to let you folks know about the cooking on stove top. This is just one of many things my wife cooks on the heating stove. Life is good.

Wish I was closer. I've never tried cooking atop or inside our Fireview. Most I've ever done was keep a kettle of water hot when we've lost power for extended periods of time. Maybe I'll work on that this winter...

Bobbin, cooking on that thing while you are working in the shop should work out well for you.

btw, we have the boot driers on the stove top and sit the kettle on top of those. I almost got the fire too strong once when it got over 600. Got a bit toasty in the house for a while but outdoor temperature in the 30's, it did not take long to cool back down with just a window cracked.

No Dave, it will be biscuits. The bread was baked a couple days ago. Maybe more today or tomorrow (cinnamon bread this time).

YOu can change the oil any time; eat well today because it is chilly outside.

I thought the same. Tomorrow will be a bit warmer, so I'll stay in today and make soup.
We have a ham for Thanksgiving that might be found with a chunk or two cut from it. I suppose I could use some of the kielbasa, though. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.
Dennis, do you have a good recipe for the biscuits that you wouldn't mind sharing? Mine tend to come out like little pucks. I need more practice.

Sounds awsome! Enjoy!!

PapaDave said:
I thought the same. Tomorrow will be a bit warmer, so I'll stay in today and make soup.
We have a ham for Thanksgiving that might be found with a chunk or two cut from it. I suppose I could use some of the kielbasa, though. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.
Dennis, do you have a good recipe for the biscuits that you wouldn't mind sharing? Mine tend to come out like little pucks. I need more practice.

2 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup shortening (we use Blue Bonnet oleo)
2/3 cup milk (whole milk)

Mixing:
Use fork or spoon to mix all powdered ingredients. Then put shortening. Add milk. Stir and then use hands to form into a ball.

Put ball on doughboard and kneed it until it appears smooth and even coloration. Kneed for probably 5 minutes until a soft dough.

Roll the dough out or flatten with hands. Use biscuit cutter. Bake 450 degrees for 10 minutes (approximately).

Wife uses an air pan which seems to make them brown better.

Eat and enjoy. Use lots of good butter.

EDIT: Buttermilk can be used in place of whole milk.

What's an air pan? Is it something that allows her to bake biscuits inside the stove or on its top?

Forgive me, I hate to cook and the good man does all of it and the marketting, too! I happily act as scullery maid and clean up the debris trail left in his creative wake.

Bobbin, I'm not sure if this explains it or not, but it appears to be a double layer on the bottom of the pan with air space between. Also, I will edit the recipe.

Bobbin said:
What's an air pan? Is it something that allows her to bake biscuits inside the stove or on its top?

Forgive me, I hate to cook and the good man does all of it and the marketting, too! I happily act as scullery maid and clean up the debris trail left in his creative wake.

these:
http://www.amazon.com/AirBake-Insulated-Nonstick-14-Inch-Cookie/dp/B000EOX12Q/ref=pd_sbs_k_4

fantastic for cookies, biscuits, scones etc..

These and silpat sheets are the bakers best friends. We both love to cook, but she bakes more than I..

Oh, and to stay "on topic" bean soup sounds good, I love a good bean soup, but we have a pot of venison chili simmering on the corner of the stove today.. :)

Also, do you have a "honeybaked ham" place near you? best place in the world for ham bones.. they usually have a good amount of ham left on them too...

My Vermont Castings stove has a surface-ground cast iron griddle top, designed expressly for cooking on. Even has a drip groove around the edge so you don't spill grease onto the gasket. Extremely cool, except my wife steadfastly refuses to eat pancakes I bake on it, so I've yet to try it out. Anything that takes a real long time would be a PITA because eventually you'd have to take it off the stove and put it on the ground somewhere. The griddle top is also.... the top loading door. :shut:

So, back to the air pan, Dakota's. ... in the stove or on top of it? (don't laugh)

Background: I like to bake and I am in charge of all holiday meals... only seems fair given the responsibility the good man bears throughout the year. I can make great stuffing and roasting a stuffed bird is so EASY. I make excellent gravy and sauces, too (double boilers rock!). But I have a crummy sense of "timing" when it comes to bringing it all together; the good man lovingly takes over and brings all the "prepped" vegetables home at the designated time. He's amazing!

Baking is so simple. Measure, follow directions and it's DONE. But it doesn't have to be "done" in time for tabletop presentation.

Just finished eating some great biscuits and bean soup. Ah..... Sweet. Some frozen yogurt to top it all off. What a day! What a dinner! (burp)

You've inspired me. I had some black beans soaking and ready to go. Now they are on the stove top.

Bobbin said:
So, back to the air pan, Dakota's. ... in the stove or on top of it? (don't laugh)

Background: I like to bake and I am in charge of all holiday meals... only seems fair given the responsibility the good man bears throughout the year. I can make great stuffing and roasting a stuffed bird is so EASY. I make excellent gravy and sauces, too (double boilers rock!). But I have a crummy sense of "timing" when it comes to bringing it all together; the good man lovingly takes over and brings all the "prepped" vegetables home at the designated time. He's amazing!

Baking is so simple. Measure, follow directions and it's DONE. But it doesn't have to be "done" in time for tabletop presentation.

Sorry, in the oven. All baking is done "inside" something.. They do make small ovens for "camp baking" that may be usable on top a wood stove, I may try it this year, I have my parents antique Coleman camp oven. I have used it on top the Coleman stove... Some of the Dutch Oven bread recipes may be very doable on top a wood stove also, though I would want one without feet.

On the turkey.. have you tried smoking one? It's even easier then roasting one in my opinion, and a better bird too.

As far as timing... we have a chalk board on the wall for grocery lists.. on big meal days, we work backwards from "serve time" and note start times for everything. We also use it to note our ENTIRE menu, as we have gotten halfway through a meal and remembered stuff in the fridge or oven... :red:

Dennis, thanks for the recipe.
Here's a good one for ya' DD, I'm the baker here.
One thanksgiving a few years ago, I made a pumpkin loaf, and.......forgot to add the pumpkin. Needless to say, it was a little bland.
I have yet to live that one down.

Dennis, why don't you try baking those biscuits on the stove? You may need something like these to make it work for the Fireview: http://store.woodstove.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16661&cat=298&page=1
That would make the soapstone flush with the cast iron frame, or you could arrange some other type of spacer. Then you could try this for fun (as I wrote in the other cooking thread):

Get a cheap Hefty aluminum turkey roasting pan with the wire handles and bend the handles back to reverse them so you can lift the pan when upside down. Put your baking pan of biscuits on the stove, elevated about 1/2” on a wire rack (or put the biscuits directly on a soapstone baking slab, as I did). Place the inverted turkey pan over the biscuits, making sure the edges of the pan are not elevated and allowing air to enter the "oven". I added a layer of heavy duty foil over the pan to create an insulating air space. The biscuits baked perfectly in the normal time.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yesterday afternoon my wife decides it is time for bean soup. After all, it is hunting season.... Happens every year it seems.

Anyway, the bean soup was put on top of the Fireview and was just now removed because we don't want it cooked any longer. My wife did from time to time stir the bean soup and a few times it was boiling. I had a difficult time going to sleep last night because the smell of bean soup made me hungry!

I just wanted to let you folks know about the cooking on stove top. This is just one of many things my wife cooks on the heating stove. Life is good.

Never tried cooking on the Liberty yet but I can smell your bean soup. :coolsmile:

zap

I'm jealous. Sounds like a great meal.! Navy bean soup is a favorite from my childhood. I wanted a stove that would be useful for cooking, but my wife liked the looks of a flush insert. So, that's what we got.

I used to cook soup on the cooktop of my old V/C Aspen. Miss the cooktop but not the stove. My Nordic has the "sweater pattern" on top and no cooktop. I still might try it though. I did have a roasted rosemary seasned chicken with buttercup squash and carrots from the Weber charcoal grill today, so not all is lost.

The only reason I regret I have an insert (><)

I am stocked up with grills - Weber 18.5", Weber bullet, and a Weber gas grill. (Do you find a theme here?) I like to grill/barbecue. My ideal goal for an inside stove would be maximum heat per cubic foot of wood. Looks would not matter. Stoves that would permit cooking (a plus in an emergency) would surely be more efficient than inserts.

Backwoods Savage said:

Hi Charlie,

I enjoyed your post--sounds delicious!

Though I can't resist commenting that tonight it may be your wife who is has trouble sleeping because of the smell (and sound) of beans. :)

Keep enjoying those simple pleasures--they're the best!

Dennis,

That sounds absolutely Wonderful! :)

I love bean soup......especially on a cold Fall Evening!

Hope all is well!

Cheers,Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.