Dip Tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virvis

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2007
central PA
Went searching for a dip tube today to use for my hot water supply from my top holding tank. I told the guys at the shop what I was doing and they looked at me like I was nuts. Anyway, the system is an eko40 with 2 500 gallon storage tanks stacked. the feed for the zones will come out of the top tank and I'm looking for a dip tube. The opening is 1 1/2 inches. Any info. on how to build one of these?

thanks,
Jim

virvis said:
Went searching for a dip tube today to use for my hot water supply from my top holding tank. I told the guys at the shop what I was doing and they looked at me like I was nuts. Anyway, the system is an eko40 with 2 500 gallon storage tanks stacked. the feed for the zones will come out of the top tank and I'm looking for a dip tube. The opening is 1 1/2 inches. Any info. on how to build one of these?

thanks,
Jim

(The dip tube is for the bottom tank, right?)

You can turn down a piece of 1.25" pipe and just swage it into a 1.50" nipple, or if you work at it you can braze or weld a piece of 1.25" pipe on to the end of the 1.50" nipple.

And the easy way might be to use a 1.50" x 1.00" x 1.00" double tapped reducing bushing (F W Webb, PexSupply) and use 1.00" pipe for the dip tube. There is such a thing as a 1.50" x 1.25" x 1.25" double tapped reducing bushing, but I'm not sure how easy they are to find.

--ewd

you could see if there's a size of emt conduit that would fit inside the 1 1/2 nipple and flare/swage the end like a water heater dip tube, or weld, just don't breathe too much zinc fumes.

I looked all over for double tapped fittings including Webb's with no luck. I ended up tig welding a 1" piece of black iron pipe to a 1.5" reducing bushing. The welder needs to be good because you don't have much room before you muck up the threads. The welder I used has alot of experience he did it perfect the first time...

I made mine with 1.25 copper pipe as dip tube, ran it thru 1.25 black nipple. Then i took the stops (hammered)out of 1.25 female copper adaptor slid that over the pipe, then threaded everything into the tank adjusted the dip tupe for length and sweated the copper connection.

I'm doing a short tube on the bottom of my tank to create a sediment trap and on the top I'm putting in a 90 deg tube w/a 4' run to push hot water towards the other end of tank. My horiz 1250 gal tank has the largest openings on one end, one on top and one on the bottom so i need to seperate the intake and outlet. I,m considering teeing off the hot supply and running a small 3/4 line to the other end of the tank to spread the hot water out over the top of the tank. Any other ideas.

sparke said:
I looked all over for double tapped fittings including Webb's with no luck. I ended up tig welding a 1" piece of black iron pipe to a 1.5" reducing bushing. The welder needs to be good because you don't have much room before you muck up the threads. The welder I used has alot of experience he did it perfect the first time...

YMMV but at the local FWWebb they're available 'out back' if requested. (Also not on the shelf but available are forged steel weldable half-couplings and couplings.)

But welding, if available, is about as quick and easy, and cheaper. If your welder is not so skilled -- like me for instance -- he can sneak in with with a rod from the inside and do a decent job of tacking it in place, especially since it doesn't need to be gas-tight.

--ewd

Status
Not open for further replies.