1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Direct Vent Radiant/Infrared ???

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Peter B., Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter B.

Peter B. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Wisconsin
    Last fall, I bought a propane wall furnace to supplement the wood stove I've burned for years (which is showing its age and can not hold a fire overnight).

For a variety of reasons, I chose a low cost, medium efficiency, direct vent model over other units available.

The heat output is primarily convective, and of course, I'm used to a nice radiant 'glow' from the wood stove.

I looked for direct vent infrared / radiant propane heaters / furnaces at the time, but could find none... and searching again today (out of idle curiosity) I still find none.

I wonder why a direct vent radiant doesn't seem to be practicable? I'd think an added fan would help circulate heat convectively (as desired).

Can the experts here explain this lack?

Thanks...

Peter B.

-----

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Peter B.

Peter B. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Wisconsin
    My knowledge of gas heater design is near nil, and I don't mind being called ignorant for having asked what I did in my first post.

I guess a direct vent fireplace would be about as close to what I was suggesting as I'm aware.

But having burned wood for so many years, I'm afraid I would never be convinced looking at a 'bogus' gas flame... and (again) I'm surprised that no direct vent radiant / plaque infrared heaters seem to exist... business-like radiant heaters that don't happen to be vent free.

Maybe I'm only a market of one, but I'd think there might be more like me.

PB

-----
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.