Direct vent replacing glass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eliteconcept

Oct 13, 2023
Hi
Last weekend we ran our direct vent fireplace in the morning after about 10 minutes the front glass just shattered. The unit likely original to the house which would make it about 27 years old. Works well for its age. I'm not sure what kind it is there is no labeling whatso ever under by all the controls, or on the top part. Nothin. There was some residue from what looks like maybe there was a sticker at one point. but nothing that identifies the unit.

I had a local glass company come by this morning to measure to give me an estimate on a piece of tempered glass to replace. They stated tempered was what was in it, but they would kind of suggested pryo-ceramic? First question is should I go with that or just tempered?

Second question is the glass that broke had a red/orange gasket that sealed the glass to the fireplace itself. I've done some research and it looks like a rope gasket would serve the same purpose here but really need some advice on what I would use as a replacement gasket.

I've attached some pictures of the unit and gasket for reference.
Thanks in advance.

gasket.jpg underfireplace.jpg underfirepalce2.jpg exterior frame.jpg

The old direct vent fireplaces would use that orange rubber gasketing. If you are replacing that glass I would use a good rope casketing, you can find them with a tape backing that makes it easy to apply. As far as pyro ceramic is concerned it is used in gas fireplaces that have higher BTU's and are of a higher efficiency. It is needed so that the glass can handle the heat and doesn't explode. So putting that on this fireplace would assure the glass will not break because of heat or thermo shock. However it was not tested or approved with it and also the fireplace did not meet the Btu's or the efficiency that require that type of glass. Bottom line putting that on is overkill and will cost a lot more. It is really your call. Hope this helps.

The old direct vent fireplaces would use that orange rubber gasketing. If you are replacing that glass I would use a good rope casketing, you can find them with a tape backing that makes it easy to apply. As far as pyro ceramic is concerned it is used in gas fireplaces that have higher BTU's and are of a higher efficiency. It is needed so that the glass can handle the heat and doesn't explode. So putting that on this fireplace would assure the glass will not break because of heat or thermo shock. However it was not tested or approved with it and also the fireplace did not meet the Btu's or the efficiency that require that type of glass. Bottom line putting that on is overkill and will cost a lot more. It is really your call. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Do you have a recommendation for the rope casketing or a vendor recommendation? I know this is a part you don't want to skimp on.

A good company to use is ...Rutland
You can order online or if you have an Ace Hardware store in your area that would work or a local fireplace shop should sell gaskets materials.