Direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
So....If your facing the stove....putting your logs in lengthwise(ends facing you) is North to South. Which is the North...which is the South...the front of the stove or the back of the stove...even tho I'm looking Southwest??? Thanx Jeff

neumsky said:
So....If your facing the stove....putting your logs in lengthwise(ends facing you) is North to South. Which is the North...which is the South...the front of the stove or the back of the stove...even tho I'm looking Southwest??? Thanx Jeff

maple ,beech and elm have to face north. Oak ,locust and ironwood face south.............all other types @ your option.

Rottiman...your so funny! I guess that would depend on whether there was moss on it or not. I've always considered as North as being the big Daddy for relationship. When I look to the North... my right arm faces the east...my left to the west and my rear to the South. And as Den says...the rear would be to the North??? haha

So cutting splits to 6" and standing them vertical in the box is what if North, South, East, and West are all used up already?

I don't know...what do you call a burnt pancake from the end of a log?

rottiman said:
neumsky said:

maple ,beech and elm have to face north. Oak ,locust and ironwood face south.............all other types @ your option.

thats why i'm having trouble burning my oak.......i've been pointing it north all this time.....you guys ain't right :lol:

cass

I am not sure which is north so I am switching to all-vertical burns.

PapaDave said:
I got lucky with mine. The back of the stove is actually at the north side, with the door being south. The rest was easy. %-P

Haha-mine too!

My wife says to me after reading these....she says were all nuts!

Wise lady she is.

PapaDave said:
Wood Duck said:
I am not sure which is north so I am switching to all-vertical burns.
See post # 14.
Jeesh, how do you guys stay warm if you aren't burning the wood in the proper orientation?

But is it magnetic north or real north?

This thread has definitely been covered many times before and has quickly 'gone south'. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.